Computer restarts after installing ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i just recently installed 2 x 512 ram sticks into my computer to bring me up to 2 GB. But every time i try to run a game it starts up for about 30 seconds and then just restarts. I turned automatic restart to off to see if it would give me a BSOD but nothing showed up.

Here is my setup :

K8U-939 Gigabyte Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ - Socket 939
Nvidia 6800 XT AGP Video Card
4 x 512 ram sticks
400 w Power Supply
1 SATA 80 gb hard drive
1 CD\DVD RW Drive

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
homerguy

hi homerguy (and welcome to TS :))...

if it was a memory error, you should get a BSOD. but you say "nothing showed up"... by this do you mean you get a blue screen with no error message, or a blank/black screen? does the computer itself actually shut down, or does it stay on but unresposive?

given your problem, the first component I looked at was your PSU. however you didn't give any useful information about it. the generic "400w" rating means nothing. we don't know if it can actually provide 400w at all, and if it can then how is that power distributed? what brand name and model# is is? (if you don't know, then it's probably a P.O.S. ;))

EDIT: the reason I ask about your PSU is because it's possible that it was barely providing enought power before, and adding the extra RAM may have "asked" too much from the PSU (the reaction to ovetaxing the PSU may be to simply shut down)

You need to tell us more about the memory you purchased, and the power supply, for additional comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back