Computer restarts on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently reformatted a friend's hard drive after her computer was boggged down w/ viruses. I copied what she wanted saved to another computer, formatted her hard drive, installed Win98SE, and copied her stuff back over to her hdd (after doing virus scans on everything). After putting the hdd back in, her computer has started rebooting itself out of no where. Everything seems to be plugged in fine, although I'll double check that the CPU fan is working properly. Does anyone have any ideas? She didn't have this problem before.

If it's a software prob, you probably got something malicious overlooked in that mess you copied from her system. To rule out if it's a hardware prob, get a copy of ultimatebootdisk and boot from it and do a memtest86 (ultimateboot has loads of great apps to diagnose) on the system, letting it complete all 8 tests. 0 counts as a number in computerland so after memtest has run the 7th test and all is ok, you can rule out hardware probs in the motherboard, cpu, or memory system.

Just some stuff 4 u 2 try.

I get mine from a local shop that does unix/linux mostly, I'll ask him where he dl'd it from, as googleing for it spit up pages I'd have to wade thru to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back