Computer screen keeps going black suddenly

By arran
Feb 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basically when i am playing games or watching movies my computer screen will suddenly go black but the computer seems to still be running, i have to restart my computer every time this happens before the screen will come back. this doesn't happen every time but quite often its getting really annoying any ideas. i think it might be my graphics card but i don't know.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

We meet again !

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

Mind you, this is most likely an LCD monitor fault. If you have another Display (from another computer that you could swap yours with - as a test) that would be ideal.
  3. arran

arran Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 58

nope don't have another monitor and i have put up my system spec. there anyway i can check without having one??
  4. kimsland

Please answer Yes underneath this in your Profile (default is No)
  5. arran

oh right oops changed it now
  6. kimsland

I wonder sometimes if these computers are too fast for the standard LCD that usually comes with them.

I'd like to stand by my notion that the LCD has faulted, and if you can get it to fault at one particular point, or even many times over a short interval. Then I would suggest to replace under warranty. (sadly warranty means like for like)

Exactly how old is the LCD anyway (less than a year?)
  7. arran

urm not sure i think it is round a year might be over
  8. arran

19/07/2006 was when i baught it so its been around a year and a half i think not sure how long my warranty is though.
    Sony SDM-S95AB 19" TFT SXGA Black is my current screen.
  9. kimsland

Actually it may be 3 (lets hope)
    Locate the s/n and make and model (on the back - but don't topple it over!)
    Then go to the LCD Manufactures website, they may have a facility to check for current warranty condition.

Also instead of replying to your own post, use Edit instead.

Edit:

OK you posted it !

Edit Again:

Here's the page:
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DOCS
  10. arran

Unfortunately i am not near my computer i am using one at uni so i will check when i get back home to find out how long i have left. is there any way i can test to see if it is my monitor encase my warranty has run out.
  11. kimsland

Yes ask if you can borrow a LCD before going home!
    You never know they may say yes

12. arran

lol. the site doesnt have any warranty information for my model i guess i will call them up later. thanks for the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.