Computer shuts off by it self when updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

edua

Hello.Im new here as u can see, a friend of mine recomended me this place to find out how to solve the porblem Im having with my computer
Im using a

HP pavillon
Intel(R) Corel (TM)2 CPU
1.59 Ghz 2 GB ram

Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Servece pack 2

Every time i go to the Microsoft windows update page, to update my my IE to 7 my computer shuts off by itself and re starts. (It only hapens when trying to update IE)

Can anyone here help me out.

Thanks in advance

I have attached a hijackthis report and a minidmp

See post #14&15 of this THREAD.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, a57ea66b, 8a5d9a28, 0}
Probably caused by : system32:lzx32.sys ( lzx32+266b )

Hello peterdiva, thansk for your help

altho I dont remember gettign the lzx32.sys error i did get a Mdmex.exe error.
as u sugested I chekrd te thread and i downloaded and run the prevx sofware and it found the malware mdmex.exe wich prevx sent to jail and i deleted inmediatly :)

I m going to try to upgrade IE onece again adn ill let you know if the problem continues

Thanks alot peterdiva

well i tried updating my IW agan and my computer still turns off by itself when installing.

any ideas why ?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved this thread to our security and the web forum.

Apart from your rootkit problem, your system is infected with several trojans.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above you decide you want to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of edua only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hello howard_hopkinso, thanks for helping me on this one
i have done all the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and i have attached the AVG and HJTreports aswell.
any idea whats wrong with my sYstem howard_hopkinso?

thanks in advance

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Microsoft authenticate service

Close the services window.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Braid
Groboto
eMule
Incoming

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

msasvc.exe
autosys.exe
crack.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoSys] C:\WINDOWS\system32\autosys.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: Sothink SWF Catcher - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm

O9 - Extra button: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm

O9 - Extra button: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEB utton\support.htm

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Internet Connection Help - {E2D4D26B-0180-43a4-B05F-462D6D54C789} - C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\IEB utton\support.htm

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Microsoft authenticate service (MsaSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msasvc.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msasvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autosys.exe
C:\Program Files\Braid<Delete the entire folder.
C:\Program Files\eMule<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of edua only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hello again , I run hjt and did everithing u toldme and everithign seems to be runing smoth now , thanks alot for ur help

That`s good news. However, I`d still like to see a fresh HJT log.

Your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back