TechSpot

Computer starts, but no display

By you use a 286
Apr 12, 2008
  1. my Pentium 4 starts up, but there is no display on the screen. My monitor works fine, I tested it on another tower. I can't figure out whats wrong w/ the computer.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

Your VPU has probably failed. Test it in another system if possible, otherwise, just replace it.

3. spkenny

spkenny TS Enthusiast Posts: 57

I've run into this problem on 3 customer machines I worked on. All 3 were motherboard failures, and needed replaced.

4. spkenny

I should ask, is there any post beep? And another possibility is your video. If it's onboard video, try obtaining a video card assuming you have a card slot availiable. If it's not onboard video you're using, and you're already using a card, you have 2 options. A: once again, try another video card in your video slot, and B: if you are using a video card, but have an onboard video option, test the onboard video. If this all fails, I would again assume it's the motherboard.

5. you use a 286

you use a 286 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

no beep .

6. spkenny

sorry to say, sounds like a dead motherboard my friend :dead:

7. Matthew

You use a 286, I would definitely at least test your video card in another PC before you proclaim the motherboard dead. If the video card doesn't give a response in the other PC, expect that only the video card has died and your motherboard is okay.

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

The problem here is there are a MANY potential reasons for this behavior. If you don't have the means to troubleshoot, then buying a new board will be a bad 'investment' if it is something else.

No POST beep is a clue, but hardly reliable. It can STILL be failed memory, PSU, bad video card or a failing PCI device... even a bad IDE drive or cable (Yes, this CAN happen).

Motherboards and graphics cards are good guesses, but you need to do some troubleshooting or you are playing PC-parts-bin roulette. :)

9. you use a 286

you use a 286 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

video card fine

10. Matthew

:) Now it's time to move toward the more drastic measures (such as replacing your motherboard). It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.