Computer still runs at 100% CPU after reformat and virus/spyware scans

By m1ssion06
Mar 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys I'm in need of help. As of this past Thursday my computer has been causing me a lot of problems. On Sunday I gave up trying to work with the immense lag and ran Spybot S&D. This found a few entries and removed them, I also used the immunize function or whatever it is called. Restarted my computer only to be greeted by the start-up repair. After many times of it looping because of Boot unable to find OS Load, I used the Dell Factory Image Reset tool, basically reformatting my entire hard drive. The problem continued even after I did this, so I ran a virus scan. Two minutes in my computer completely shuts off. I waited 30 mins and turned it back on. This time no sign of lag in my performance of high CPU usage. It was actually down to around 8-10%. Then I installed the 89 windows updates for my computer. While my computer was installing the updates during a restart, the computer completely shut off again. Turned it back on and it ran smoothly saying all updates had been installed. When I woke up the next day the computer had shut down. Turned it on and the lag was back. 100% CPU Usage with task manager using about 45-50, with everything else using at most 10%. I ran Adaware and my computer came up clean. I'm about to run another updated virus scan, but my real question is that I'm beginning to think it is a hardware problem, any ideas? - Also I have not installed any new hardware lately. Thanks for any help you guys may have.
  2. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,046   +15

Can you give the spec of your pc? Or is it a bought, known model/type?
    In task manager, performance tab, what do the 'cpu usage' and 'memory' show on the graphs?
  3. m1ssion06

m1ssion06 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1521. Running on a AMD Turion 64x2. Memory is 993MB out of 2GB. And CPU is showing 80-100%. And for the past hour anti-virus scan has been sitting at 2% with 1867 files scanned.
  4. mike1959

Ok. I was interested to find if you had 1GB or 2 RAM, but 2GB is ok.
    You have Vista (or poss upgrade to 7), so to rule out any O/S problems, without causing any more, I would think it a good idea to run 'chkdsk /f'.
    So that's 'Start', in the search box type 'run'. When 'run' appears at the top of the list, right-click on it and choose 'run'.
    In the box that appears, type chkdsk /f
    (There is a space after chkdsk)
    Click 'ok'. In the new box that appears, type Y
    Close the box, Restart the pc and leave it. Could take some time, 45-60mins.
    (You may know all this, but it can only do good to a faulty O/S).
    See what happens after this.
    If your antivirus is sitting at 2% for all that time, that's not right. Be interesting to know what you are using.
  5. m1ssion06

m1ssion06 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

seems to be fixed after I did that! Thanks a ton!
  6. mike1959

No trouble. It's worth running chkdsk /f now and then, it's sorts out many minor Windows problems.
    I was going to ask if you had 2 different anti-virus programs installed and running at the same time, it can have a similar effect to what you had. One detects the other and it slows the system.
    I run Windows 7 firewall, and Microsoft security essentials anti-virus, that's all, and have no problems so far.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.