Computer will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built the computer with all new parts about 3 weeks ago. It had been running fine on a daily basis. I get home one day and go to turn it on. I touched (did not press) the power button and it starts to power up, fans and lights come on but then it stopped and turned off. Now the power button does nothing. The light on the motherboard is on. If i turn the power supply off and then on the lights and fans come on and then turn off. I tried clearing the CMOS and nothing.

I am thinking I must have static shocked the power button and fried that part of the MoBo.

Any thoughts?

Power Supply has gone bad? Borrow another power supply, or a power supply tester to check it out before you mess with other stuff. Having brand new power supplies fail is fairly common... and it is the first component to check.
New motherboards also fail. But I doubt what you proposed with the power button... They are protected from this unless it is a very crummy case.
After power supply, strip down to the most fundamental install... a floppy drive, perhaps, or another drive with a simple install. Disconnect everything. See if you can get something to run with just the power supply and a floppy disk or USB thumb drive.
Prepare a check list and run down all the possibilities as you go. Be sure to look for other failures that can cause this... bad memory, bad cpu fan, cpu fan not connected exactly right, CPU heat sink hold-down has slipped....
Do this with plenty of rest and a check list. Your enemy is frustration and panic. Just calmly go back to basics.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Did some troubleshooting. Determined it had to be the motherboard. Went and got a new one and it is running fine now with all the other parts in it.

Thank you

I agree with raybay
Motherboard is the 2nd last thing on my list of possible issues (Replacing CPU being the last)

There was a post once (here on TS or elsewhere, I can't remember) where the user conclusively confirmed that it was motherboard fault. Then a few days later replied saying he soaked the Motherboard in circuit board cleaner (then left to dry for a couple of days) And then all of a sudden it worked again!

In saying that, I have created a wallpaper of faulty motherboards, so obviously they do go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back