TechSpot

Computer won`t start up after replacing blown psu.

By richhornick
Aug 20, 2006
  1. I have a strange problem that I cannot figure out. I have an emachine W2785 which stopped powering up a couple weeks ago. I pulled out the power supply and noted that it was blown (the circuit board showed spots where something overheated). I purchased a new power supply (Rosewill RV350). This was an upgrade from the original which was only a 250 watt. Well, I placed in the the pc and everything powered up, except the keyboard and monitor. The keyboard lights do not come on, and the monitor comes on with the screen stating that monitor is ok, check pc (I hooked it up to my dell and it worked fine). So imediately I thought the motherboard was bad. I purchased a Biostar M7Vig400 from newegg and placed it in the pc. Started the pc up and the exact same thing happened - everthing worked - fans, cd drives, harddrive, except the keypboard and monitor. I tried disconnecting everything to see if I could diagnose what piece of hardware was causing the issue, but to no avail. I am very frustated and would appreciate any support anyone could offer. Here's the original specs for my computer - notate I changed the power supply and motherboard.

BOM for : W2785
    Part Category
    ODD1: DVD NEXGEN 16X 100127
    Memory: MEM, DDR-RAM 512MB (Max. 2GB
    HDD: HDD, 80GB 5400rpm
    CHASSIS: CHASSIS, NEXGEN-2 MAIN CHASSIS FRAME
    MB: MB, AM39L/1.0 462P
    CPU Fan Type: Fan ,58*68.3*80mm
    Speaker: SPEAKER, SP-30A (AMPLIFIED)
    Power Supply: PS, 250 WATT
    FDD Model: FDD, D353M3D
    Video: Video, Integrated
    Mouse: MOUSE, SILVER WHEEL
    CPU: CPU, ATHLON XP 2700 462P 333FSB
    Keyboard Model: KB, PREMIUM BLACK KB-0108,PS/2 PORT
    ODD2: DVD-DUAL Nexgen2 (16x10x40x+4x2.4x12x)
    LAN: LAN, 10/100 Integrated
    Modem: MODEM, V.92 56K

Thanks for your time in advance.

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

You need to explain exactly what you have replaced and list everything you are using from the original machine. Its possible that something else has blown in some way and is causing a drain on the 5v rail. There are many other possibilities but that one sounds the most likely.

3. richhornick

richhornick TS Rookie Topic Starter

To date I replaced the power supply and motherboard. I only thing I added to the original system was an additional 512 mb of memory. Everything else is the same. Does that help?

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 TS Rookie Posts: 272

try unplugging everything inside your comp apart from your motherboard,cpu, and power/reset button and see if you get a post screen. Then if the screen and keyboard work, then try plugging everything back in again 1 at a time testing your computer after each thing you plug in then you will find the problem. I would suggest putting the memory back in first if your monitor/keyboard works.

5. richhornick

richhornick TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried doing what you suggested, but to no avail. I still get no lights on the keyboard, and the monitor states "self test, check your pc and signal cable, monitor is working". I also am getting no beeps when I turn it on. Can you think of anything else? Thanks again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.