Computer wont boot, photo included

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs2009

Hi, i turned on my computer to find this screen facing me. It happens as soon as the computer turns on and stays like this but flickering changing colours here and there. Any ideas or questions for further details needed? My specs are

ASUS P5B motherboard
intel core 2 quad q6600
Nvidia Geforce 7300Le 256mb PCI-e
1024mb ddr II 667Mhz PC5300 Memory

Thanks in advance, I am really confused as i cant even get into Dos mode or anywhere!

computerproblem.jpg

I'd say the graphics card has died. Can you get another one to test with?

I dont have access to another one. I did look at taking it out but it has been glued on to the motherboard connector with some sort of glue in any case.

Any ideas how i could get this glue off without ruining anything?
Any other steps i can take to avoid buying a new graphics card and it not being the problem?

I have just taken out the battery on the motherboard in the hope it might (although probably unlikely) be the problem.

I guess you could disable the card in the BIOS and in Windows, and buy a PCI card.. You don't have many other options at this point.

Are you sure it's glued in place?

Can you see the glue, or does it just not want to come loose? Many newer mobos with AGP and all PCI-e mobos have a locking mechanism to prevent the card from working loose (which causes all sorts of problems). I have never heard of a card being glued into its slot before.

Have you checked the video cable connections and the pins on the ends? If the screen is garbled like this from the moment you first power on the computer, I agree that it appears something is wrong with the video card or the cable going to the monitor.

Another thought... when your computer first boots, can you read the on-screen text and access the bios? If so, try starting Windows in Safe Mode (VGA only). If this garbled screen only happens when Windows loads, it could be a corrupted video driver. If Windows boots in this mode, uninstall your drivers and delete the video card in Device Manager, then reboot and install known good drivers.

Thanks for the replies,

I know the monitor + cable work 100% as I am now using them with my old computer( this computer doesnt have a graphics card to be removed however).

I can't get any sort of writing on the screen and can't enter into safe mode or the BIOS unfortunatly.

I can see the glue, its on all added hardware inside.

I do feel like i am running out of options, Just hesitant of buying a new video card and it not working.

Wow, that's very unfortunate that all of the add-in cards are glued into their slots. I have built and serviced many computers over the last 10+ and I have never seen that before. Maybe I was not going into the case to replace something that was glued in and just did not notice. That's too weird... even stupid.

That sounds like something Apple (or the old Packard-Bell company) would do to force you into buying a new machine instead of being able to upgrade anything. What brand of PC do you have... I am dying to know who did that.

One last suggestion before recommending you send your PC to the recyclers dump; and, since you say the problem is present during POST it is probably going to be a waste of a few minutes. Have you tried a bootable CD? If you get the same result with your video from a bootable CD, you can conclude 100% that your system (due to the glued in video card) is ready for the scrap heap.

It sounds to me like you are definitely running out of options. Since you really have nothing to lose with the prospect of replacing your system, or buying a new mobo and all new internal components, I would considered trying to remove, or cut away the glue, to free the video card and other components. If for no better reason than to defy the wishes of the evil manufacturer, it would be a worthy effort.

But, if you are going to buy a new PC instead of building your own, don't waste your money on a video card.

hi foxrox, I bought the desktop through a company called inta-audio.

I don't have the option of throwing it away as it has hundreds of recordings / track sequences which i need to preserve. I know i should of backed up my work but this is something that is irrelavant to dwell on right now.

Neither do I currently have the cash to buy even a bottom spec computer, which wouldnt be useful to me anyway as I need a high spec computer to run all my audio software.

I did try a bootable cd which didnt work either. I really need to try a new graphics card in it, something I don't have though. Tempted to try to move the glue but I really don't wanna mess something up which might just be a problem with the video card or the ram and easily fixed.

I am tempted to jsut throw it out my window in a fit of rage but I am going to try and keep that as a last resort for now!

If anyone knows how to gte this glue off, I have read different suggestions from other people with similiar problems of using a hairdrier, but I am cautious about 1 overheating the MB and 2, glue dripping over other componenets.

Regards.
TJS

You may still be able to add a PCI video card (should be able to find one real cheap at a local computer shop, or craigslist, or ebay) and look up info on your motherboard to see if you can reset the bios. That might give you a chance of getting a display on your PCI card..

Just because the computer isn't functional doesn't mean you data is lost. Your hard drive still holds the data and you could put that in another computer (as a non boot drive) and recover the data from it, or you could buy an enclosure and put the drive in that then connect to any computer via USB.

Have you tried to contact inta-audio to find out why they glued everything in place? Maybe they can tell you how to get the glue to release. Even if the PC is no longer covered by a warranty, maybe someone can talk to you about this.

As SNGX1275 suggested, there is no reason to worry about your data with the availability of drive enclosures.

You said you had an old computer you used to check the monitor.
If you have the right connectors, and if you can get the hard drive out of the bad PC, you should be able to put the drive in as a second drive in your old PC so that you can get to your files.

I think SNGX1275's suggestion of getting a PCI graphics card might be your best bet. It doesn't have to be an expensive card and as long as everything else in the computer is working, you should be able to continue using the PC. A high spec graphics card isn't necessary for audio recordings.

I also urge you to find a way, such as using a external USB hard drive, to back up your recordings as soon as possible. Your hard drive may last years or may fail tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back