Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
last night, i was working on my laptop alongside my brother's desktop and i smelled something burning. i didn't know that my bro's computer was on, so i thought my laptop was frying or something and turned it off. it turned out it was actually my bro's computer that was frying =( when he pressed the power button, the green indicator light would be on, but nothing would show up on the monitor! we decided to open up the computer case, and found out that the cpu fan wasn't spinning at all. we tried to turn the computer on several times, but same problem; it just won't boot up. (no light on the keyboard either) since nothing showed up on the monitor we had to turn the computer off with the switch in the back.

this morning, i tried cleaning the cpu fan. and now when i turn the computer on, the cpu fan would spin, but there's nothing on the monitor. i've tested the monitor with my laptop and it's fine. so it has to be the computer... i just hope the cpu isn't dead. please help!

Burning smells.... yikes. Never a good thing. I think it is likely safe to assume that SOMETHING is toast. It's just a question of what it is.

Here's what I would do:

1. Test the mobo first. Disconnect everything from it, and take it out of the case, and sit it on a box beside the case. Hook up the PSU and the case speaker wires. Then short the power switch with a screw driver. You do this by touching the two pins (briefly) that usually are connected to your case's power on button.

Listen for beeps. These beeps are a code that diagnose your motherboard.

2. Install one stick of ram, CPU/heatsink, video card and try to get into BIOS.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

And by the way, welcome to techspot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back