Computer won't burn to a CD or DVD

By superchick
May 10, 2006
  1. Hoping someone can help me! I have a Dell with Windows XP. Several months ago, the burner stopped reading when I put a CD in. Meaning, whenever I'd try to burn pictures or a music cd, it would tell me that the CD was either full or something else. (Sorry, I can't remember what). Thinking that I just got a defective CD, I tried nearly every one that I had. It works about 1 out of 25 times. I thought the burner was messed up, so I bought a new one and SAME THING! Brand new burner, new discs, same error. Can anyone help me?
  2. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 252

What program are you using to burn the CDs? You may try another one and see how it works. I have always used Nero just because it works hand-in-hand with the music organizing program i have "MediaMonkey". I have had several different version of it and it works like a charm.
  3. superchick

superchick TS Rookie Topic Starter

For some reason I've got about 4 different programs I can use. The new burner came with Nero. I couldn't figure out exactly how to burn JUST pics.(not a slide show) with Nero. So I was trying with Roxio and one other. This morning my husband got Nero to burn to a DVD+RW, but it was a slide show. I wanted to be able to go to Walmart and print pics and didn't think it would work with a slide show.
  4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Having more than 1 burning program on your machine is probably where the trouble is, not to mention the fact that XP also has burn capabilities built in that should be turned off.
    I would delete all burn programs and clean up after( Nero has a tool General clean & and Registry check utility, free download from
    You should do some reading at Support Nero before you reinstall.
    You will also need to download ForceAspi to update XP .
    Make sure you clean out Temp files and Defrag after all this, and before you start burning .
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.