Computer won't power on after pulling out power cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

samh2360

Hi guys
I have a problem with my medion mt6 desktop pc.
While running a game i accidently dislodged the power cable and now when i press the button the screen recieves no signal.l also when i press the button again it powers down like ive pulled the plug. I have tried a new screen but no luck. Also the motherboard was recently replaced by medion but it worked fine for about 2 weeks. What is wrong and is it software or hardware?
cheers.
sam

You need to go into 'device manager' (which is a part of your Windows program). Click 'start menu': choose 'Help and Support' icon. Type 'device manager' in the 'search box'..print out the instructions. If you are new to troubleshooting your computer: print all instructions. It will save you a lot of time and mistakes. Look at the device manager screen, click on 'monitor', then 'properties'. Next do the same on 'display adapters' This will tell what's not 'operating properly' and whether it's the driver's. 'Help & Support' has much help to offer...but not all the answers by a long shot. Good Luck.

samh2360 said:
Hi guys
I have a problem with my medion mt6 desktop pc.
While running a game i accidently dislodged the power cable and now when i press the button the screen recieves no signal.l also when i press the button again it powers down like ive pulled the plug. I have tried a new screen but no luck. Also the motherboard was recently replaced by medion but it worked fine for about 2 weeks. What is wrong and is it software or hardware?
cheers.
sam
First, it's normal for a computer running under a "home desktop" power scheme, that a momentary press of the power switch will force a normal shutdown of Windows XP, you just can't see it. To kill the thing dead, you normally have to hold the power switch in for several seconds.
Obviously, if you can't see the screen, you can't get into "Device Manager".

If this machine has onboard graphics, plus an add in card, you can remove the video card and most machines in this configuration will auto-default to the onboard graphics adapter.

If it has a video card and NO onboard graphics, you can try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS system battery. Or the obvious, switch the video card for a known good one.

i havent a clue what it has and hasnt got. i had only just discovered it had bluetooth last week and ive had it 3 years. It has a card nvidia 6800 128mb but i dunno about onboard.
thanks for the replies;.
Sam

captaincranky
my man you should be a writer
machine should still be under some kind of warranty
call them cry and have it fixed
I don't see how the other machines support service will help
do you know what a pci card is??
if you can id the hardware in the machine and machine system specs your on the way to getting help here
blind shoot reset the cmos if it does not break the warranty to open up the machine
I'm guessing here ,but sounds first like memory went bad or video card went bad or came loose,last mother board is bad
this is only from what you have said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back