Computer wont shut down... Any help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass7248

Hi,

When I try to shut down my computer it freezes. It just gives me an arrow glass. If I try to shut down right after i start my computer up it will work. But any time after(10-15 mins) I start up my computer it will just freeze me when I try to Start>Turn Off Computer.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

is this windows xp? try pressing the power button on your case in (not hold, just press like you would to turn it on) and see if it will shut down then.

Yes, If I do that it shut downs but it gives me one error. wwin.exe or something like that but it still shuts down. I just can't shut it down through the start menu or it freezes up.

ah well that changes things :D

if this is your error message: "dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization Failed - The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down." then take a look at this site here, it sounds like somebody else has or at least had the same problem.

also it wouldn't hurt to look here as well.

Hmmm but I dont think this is freezing my comp up when i try to hit the shut down button. It seems like it doesen't wanna shut down after I get done playing a game or leaving the comp on for a long time.

it is quite a strange problem, i must admit :D

have you got spybot s&d, ad-aware and avg free? if not then download them and run scans with all 3 programs because it could be a possible malware problem.

Sadly, Yes I do. I will run scans with all of them again and see how it goes and I will let you know what happens. Thanks

The program may be getting hung on some file. To check your system files go to the "Start" menu and type in the "run" box (sfc/scannow). This will run a complete check of your system files. It will correct a problem as well. Other than that, I would remove any free software, defrag, & error check the disk. Good Luck.

Lol... if it won't turn off, unplug it ;) If it stays on after you unplug it, I wanna fly over to your house to take a look at this computer :)

you could make it stay on after you unplug it but that would need one big capacitor :D

would be a bit annoying though if you wanted to turn your pc off and it just stayed on for like 2 hours after you took the plug out haha

I ran spybot, AVG, and Ad-Aware. Still no luck though. I tried doing that run command but it wouldn't work for some reason. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back