Computer won't start in Safe mode, HELP!!! Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I'm having a problem with my computer in that it won't start in Safe mode. I'm running windows XP home edition. If anyone has any suggestions could you please help me. Thank you.

It tries to boot up but then I hear my computer click and it goes to the option to start up in safe mode, network safemode...ect and at the bottom of the screen it has a timer that says in 27 sec. it will reboot in normal mode, but never does it just takes me back to the safe mode screen. I've tried every option on that screen, but nothing seems to work.

Do you have your Windows XP Home edition operating system disk? If you do follow these instructions:

1. Place disk in the Cd-rom drive and reboot the computer. It will reboot using the cd. When the message comes up asking to boot from the cd hit enter. It will go through several loading processes.

2. When it stops loading it will ask to repair use the console repair. You will be transfered to the standard command (OLD DOS) window and it will usually ask for a drive to goto. It will also require the administrative password unless you didn't set one when you first loaded the operating system.

3. Once you are at the "C:\" prompt type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER>. It will begin checking the hard drive for errors and automatically correct them.

4. When it is finished type quit and the system shoud reboot. If it doesn't press the reset button. It should boot up normally unless there is damage to the hard drive, or it could not fix all the problems.

if what sliderule posted does not work you may be dealing with a hard drive problem. download your hard drive makers diagnostic software and test the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back