Computer Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivininthevolv

I just built a pc and now it wont turn on. This is the first time I am trying to boot it up and it won't start. I plugged it in and there was no noise, not even the fan or anything.

The Specs are as follows:
Quantum Series ATX mid-tower case
AMD Athlon 64 processor 300+
MSI Micro Star motheboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

First thing to check, did you use the riser pins that separate your motherboard from the case? If not, your motherboard will short on the case and potentially damage your board.

Next, do you have two power connections from your power supply to the motherboard?

Are you getting any LED lights on your motherboard lit up?

Do you mean standoffs? We used both brass and plastic ones.

No we are not geting any leds to lite up on the motherboard.Should the power supply fan go on regardless of what we have done on the motherboard? We are about to really panic please help us!!!!

What model number is your motherboard?

When you plug the two PSU connections to the motherboard, you SHOULD be getting some LED lights lit up (even before you turn the system power on).

This is assuming:
a) the motherboard has LED lights for troubleshooting - most do.
b) you have the powersupply plugged in and the PSU switch turned on. Not the system power yet, just the switch on the back of the PSU itself.

P.S., yes, I was talking about the standoffs ;)

The model is the MSI K8M Neo-V VIA k8M800

The motherboard doesnt have leds.
thanks for your help

Should the PSU fan turn on irrespective of any other connections?

Please post full system details:

CPU:
Ram: (how many sticks, size and speed)
GPU:
Powersupply: maker and watts

CPU: AMD ATHLON 64 Processor Socket 754 300+ with Hypertransport technology
RAM: 2 sticks, 1gb. Crucial (500mb x 2)
GPU: nVidia GeFORCE 6200 (128MB TV-OUT, DVI, AGP8X, HDTV SUPPORT)
Powersupply: 400 watt atx powersupply (came with quantum series case)

I'd suggest going back to the basics to help with the troubleshooting.

Remove the motherboard from the case, and set it on a box beside your case.

Remove everything from the motherboard except the following:

1. Two PSU connections (the 20pin and the 4pin)
2. One stick of ram (is it PC3200?)
3. I believe that board also has integrated graphics, correct? Remove the nVidia card for now to help troubleshoot, and plug your monitor into the integrated VGA.
3. CPU w/ heatsink.
4. connect your case's speaker pins to the motherboard.

Now take a screwdriver and very quickly touch the two pins on the motherboard that normally would be connected to the case's "power on" switch. This will short the switch and attempt to turn your system on.

Let us know if you get any beeps, or fans spinning.

If nothing, reset your CMOS, then try again. You do this by unplugging your system, the moving the jumper on the JBAT1 from the 1-2 position to the 2-3 position for a few seconds, then returning the jumper to the 1-2 position.

I went back to what you said, and nothing happened. Then I tried to reset the CMOS switch, and nothing again!
Do you think the power supply could be faulty?

What version of the Athlon64 3000+ do you have?

If it is the Palermo, you may have a compatibility issue. According to here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=621&kind=1

The Athlon64 3000+ Palermo is not compatible.

Sidenote: I do not think this is your problem to tell the truth. I think that the MSI site is showing an error on that page. I do not believe there is such a thing as an Athlon64 Palermo CPU. I believe all the Palermo CPUs were semprons CPUs anyways. I could be wrong, so it's worth a check.

Good. I agree, the CPU and your motherboard should be compatible then.

Go ahead and try that little PSU test and see what happens.

You don't by chance have another PSU lying around to test in there... do you?

Stupid question:

Is the volt selector on the back of the PSU set to 115v (assuming you are in N. America)?

that little test didnt work. and no i dont have another psu here. do you think it could be a faulty psu and this is why nothing is happening?

If you did that test (connecting the green wire to ground and turning on the power) and your PSU fans don't even spin, then you have a dead PSU. You'll need to send it back and get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back