TechSpot

Computer won't turn off

By Fist of Fury 2k
Dec 31, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a second computer which has a 478 chip,video card etc. For a longtime I have noticed when I go to and run pcpitstop it says my video card is performing badly...56 pixel while the average is 124.

Recently it wouldn't start properly and my monitor would flicker and die so I changed the monitor but got the same problem.

I had already changed my power supply so I took it back and asked if they would check my video card.

They said they had found a problem with my motherboard and solved the problem.

Although it starts up ok initially, after about 15 minutes it blacks out .

However the thing is still going even when I try to turn it off with the switch.

If I hold the switch in, it does go off after about 15 seconds, but when I let it go it immediately starts again but nothing appears on the screen. Eventually I get it going again and it boots up perfectly only to crash again within 10 to 15 minutes.

Video card is a nvidea 9700 GT driver is right up to date as are my other drivers.

I have virtually nothing on the computer as I transferred everything to my new one.

2ND PROBLEM: I have two separate drives C and D, I had windows xp and ubunto onmy D drive and Windows xp on my C drive.

I decided to re-install windows on both and while I was doing it remove ubunto.

I fixedmrb formatted my hard drive "D" not a problem.

When I went to reinstall XP in C by booting from the disc I got the normal "press any Key: Next page showed the two sets of windows and the top one was highlighted (was my D drive) when I tried my arrow keys nothing happened as my keyboard din't work.

I tried several times but couldn't get the keyboard to work, so I let it run and tried to install windows from my desktop.

I was expecting at some point to get a choice of where I wanted to install windows MY C Drive but it never gave me a choice at any point and just re-installed D again.

Anyone know why my keyboard isn't being activated at the selection.........works ok when windows starts...it's connected to a USB port

Thanks in advance for helping me out. Most things I can work out by reading the forum but these two problems have got me stumped
  2. BlkHeartWolf

BlkHeartWolf Newcomer, in training Posts: 160

I have seen many times where the BIOS did not see a USB keyboard.
    if the MB has PS2 ports i have used them to move on
    I have seen also that if you wait like 2 3 minutes it will find it

AS for the shutdown there must be a background service windows is waiting for

Good Luck
  3. oinari

oinari Newcomer, in training

It really sounds like your mobo is crapping out. I recommend a bios flash and or update. If that doesn't work I'd just get a new mobo if possible.
  4. BlkHeartWolf

BlkHeartWolf Newcomer, in training Posts: 160

Have you cleared the bios ? This can remove system flags on the disk.
    or settings in the programable portion of the cmos.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.