Computer won't turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fist of Fury 2k

I have a second computer which has a 478 chip,video card etc. For a longtime I have noticed when I go to and run pcpitstop it says my video card is performing badly...56 pixel while the average is 124.

Recently it wouldn't start properly and my monitor would flicker and die so I changed the monitor but got the same problem.

I had already changed my power supply so I took it back and asked if they would check my video card.

They said they had found a problem with my motherboard and solved the problem.

Although it starts up ok initially, after about 15 minutes it blacks out .

However the thing is still going even when I try to turn it off with the switch.

If I hold the switch in, it does go off after about 15 seconds, but when I let it go it immediately starts again but nothing appears on the screen. Eventually I get it going again and it boots up perfectly only to crash again within 10 to 15 minutes.

Video card is a nvidea 9700 GT driver is right up to date as are my other drivers.

I have virtually nothing on the computer as I transferred everything to my new one.

2ND PROBLEM: I have two separate drives C and D, I had windows xp and ubunto onmy D drive and Windows xp on my C drive.

I decided to re-install windows on both and while I was doing it remove ubunto.

I fixedmrb formatted my hard drive "D" not a problem.

When I went to reinstall XP in C by booting from the disc I got the normal "press any Key: Next page showed the two sets of windows and the top one was highlighted (was my D drive) when I tried my arrow keys nothing happened as my keyboard din't work.

I tried several times but couldn't get the keyboard to work, so I let it run and tried to install windows from my desktop.

I was expecting at some point to get a choice of where I wanted to install windows MY C Drive but it never gave me a choice at any point and just re-installed D again.

Anyone know why my keyboard isn't being activated at the selection.........works ok when windows starts...it's connected to a USB port

Thanks in advance for helping me out. Most things I can work out by reading the forum but these two problems have got me stumped

I have seen many times where the BIOS did not see a USB keyboard.
if the MB has PS2 ports i have used them to move on
I have seen also that if you wait like 2 3 minutes it will find it

AS for the shutdown there must be a background service windows is waiting for

Good Luck

It really sounds like your mobo is crapping out. I recommend a bios flash and or update. If that doesn't work I'd just get a new mobo if possible.

Have you cleared the bios ? This can remove system flags on the disk.
or settings in the programable portion of the cmos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back