conecting psu to mobo weird but moronic question

By ppsssooo
Jul 23, 2005
  1. ok a quick but very stupid question i am just doubting myself but in the manual it says i have to hook the pj1 wire the square one 1st for the processor then everything else but the thing is do i need to have the power on? its dum ill get shocked but how would the mobo know unless the power is on any just to make this easy do i need the power on when hooking up my mobo? or just leave it off put connect that wire first anyway?
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

If your talking about the four pin power connector on the motherboard, I never have the power on when connecting it, it might even be bad to do so. I connect the 4 pin and the 20(or 24) pin without the power on in either order, I don't think it matters.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

Never make electrical connections with the power on!
  4. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

I have been playing around with computers, building/upgrading/troubleshooting/etc for years and I've never done anything with the comp plugged in. NEVER. And I've also never encountered any problem.

But then again, I never used any anti-static stuff, and also never encountered a problem. Might be attributed to luck. Don't recommend you trying it, but I've always taken any reason to change parts to upgrade my comp, so its a good thing for me.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.