Configuring Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ididmyc600

My turn to ask a question.,

Being adventurous as I am, I decided to install Exchange 2003 onto my Domain controller, I finally figured out the settings and can now pass internal mail round the house without any problems,

Why ?? Well why not I was bored and wanted something to fiddle with, I like fiddling, it beats the boredom.

Anyway I digress, here's what I know want to do, and its here I come unstuck....

I want to be able to use the Exchange server to access my pop3 account on the NTL world backbone. I know I can do it as the exchange manager shows a virtual POP3 server, so I assume its something to do with that

As a footnote I found the pop3 service wouldnt start, so I did a google and found that its service is disabled at install (I assume for security reasons).

So is it possible, to click on Outlook and use the exchange server to retrieve mail from an external POP3 client, or do I need another piece of MS software.

Regards

normally, the client systems are configured to access the Exchange Sever.

it is still possible to Add Accounts to most pop-mail clients to access another
email post office directly, eg gmail.com

??? What

Sorry Jobeard I respect you as a poster but you lost me totally there....

Would it be a case of use Outlook on the server to retrieve the mail then use some kind of filter to redirect the mail to the various email boxes, mind you that doesnt answer how to send an email.

Regards

Ok, from the top. First Exchange is a Corporate tool which manages
Collaboration between users in a given domain. The Corp registers its
own Internet Domain Name and contracts with an ISP for access.

ALL users will receive their email with names shown here:

exchangeseverta3.jpg

Now you want to
import email for each user from some existing accout
(say myson@yahoo.com, mydaughter@gmail.com, me@myISP.com)

One technique would be to have all of these accounts forward email to your new
Exchange Server. This would require you to register a domain name and to
support a POP3 or IMAP mail server. The down side when say
myson would reply to some email -- it would have a new email
address for him like myson@ymynew-domain-name.com and not show
myson@yahoo.com as the sender.

In fact, this is a side-effect of sucking email from one ISP into another post office
regardless of how the mail got into your Exchange server (ES).

There might be a means to 'import' from myson@yahoo.com to your ES,
but it's not transparent per the above.

Hi Jobeard

Now that makes more sense, So I cant use the exchange client program to act as a kind of sorting house for incoming mail.

Not a problem, I'll just use it for internal as I cant afford to register a Domain yet, hang on I just thought I have a domain at the the moment i'll see what can be sorted for email on it and whether it can be used as you say.

Thanks pal for that , I'll get back to you shortly.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back