Configuring new graphic card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Hi all, newbie here!

OK, this is kind of hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot... My pc has a PCI-e x16 slot which I'd like to use as a port for a decent graphic card. The only problem is, it's already taken by a rubbish 256mb Nvidia geforce 6200 which gives around the same performance as my other pc's PCI 6200 (that's pretty bad in todays standards), and my onboard VGA adaptor is available but isn't detected as a port. With me so far?

Now here's the problem: if I were to take out the 6200 and insert a new card, I wouldn't be able to plug my screen in to install the drivers, as that was linked through the 6200 and my onboard VGA port is "inactive", remember? So in other words, I'd have no display to see what I was doing.

Now for the question: Is there a way to enable the onboard VGA port temporarily just so I can install the drivers to enable the new card?

OR

My pc does have some spare PCI slots, so could I plug in my old PCI 6200 to install the new drivers for the PCI-e card, as that has a built in VGA port too?

I really do envy you if you've read this far, but it's pretty complicated (and boring) to explain. But if you can... PLEASE HELP!!

All you have to do is remove all drivers and software for your current card, then shut the pc down, remove it, fit the new one, boot up and install the drivers and software for your new one. There is no need to use the built in card during the process at all. The bios takes care of starting the card up so that you can get to windows to allow you to install the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back