TechSpot

Confusion installing nvidia drivers.

By BiZ
Nov 20, 2005
  1. Ok so i downloaded and extracted the linux x86 drivers and followed the instructions in the readme which are:
    1. Run self extract
    2. Change init level to 3
    3. restart and log in as root
    4. do commands:
    cd /root
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run
    5. Go through installer stuff... yea all that
    6. Change your xorg.config: Changing driver "nv" to driver "nvidia", and remove Load "dri" and Load "GLCore"(which wasnt there in the first place) then add Load "glx"(which was already there)

Then i rebooted and ran startx then it came up with a black screen oh joy! So being the linux noob i am i didnt know how to access the xorg.config from the prompt so i just reinstalled. Tried it again(two more times actually) thinking i mistyped or something and got the same results.

Any ideas?

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,336   +280

You'll need to access a file called xorg.conf - it's usually located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Make sure you back it up before you make your changes.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Post the lines beginning with (EE), and the last ten lines from /var/log/Xorg.0.log here.

4. BiZ

BiZ Topic Starter

This is a fresh install of Fedora Core 4. So that wont help. I looked anyways though and there are no lines with (EE).

5. BiZ

BiZ Topic Starter

I think the problem may be with the drivers i installed. x86 is for a pentium 3 right?

6. BiZ

BiZ Topic Starter

Anyways i got it working. No idea what i did wrong the first 3 times. Onyl thing i did different this time was that i ran the yum update before i installed them.

7. kens8

kens8 TS Rookie Posts: 57

There's also an updated NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8174-pkg1) that fixes a lot of problems. I have a 6600LE and X wouldn't run with the 7676 driver .

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.