Connect Surface Pro 4 to 2 monitors

Hey -

So I have 2 monitors -
1- Dell - VGA and a white plug in
2- Asus - with a VGA, 2 USB, what looks like a mini VGA port and a white plug in

I have my Surface connected to the Dell monitor with a mini VGA to VGA cord and I would like to connect the second monitor somehow. I have a cable that can connect the two white plug ins but that didn't work.. Either it was a dumb idea or I have to change some settings..?

If that will not work - how should I connect these? I could get another mini VGA to VGA as well as a VGA dock. But I was hoping there is some way to use a daisy chain style..

Sorry - you can tell I am not very technically inclined. Thanks for all your help!!

Control panel -> Display -> connect to projector -> Duplicate

If your monitors support Displayport (adapters won't work since at least one of the monitors need to natively support Displayport input and output), you could connect multiple monitors daisy-chain style in that fashion. Doesn't look like there are any other ways, unfortunately.

Link since I probably botched that wording:
https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...y-or-projector?os=windows-10&=undefined#Daisy

Yes it seems like daisy chain is the only way to do this. But it looks like one of the monitors needs a ' display output' which I don't think either have.. So I might be out of luck. Thank you!!

It doesn't give me that option:/
HUH? That works even when the system ONLY has VGA. You get a 'Y' connector and attach one monitor to each tail.

along this path "Control panel -> Display -> connect to projector -> Duplicate", which option is not available?

HUH? That works even when the system ONLY has VGA. You get a 'Y' connector and attach one monitor to each tail.

along this path "Control panel -> Display -> connect to projector -> Duplicate", which option is not available?
Even so, I don't think that's what they're looking for. That would result in both of the screens displaying the exact same thing, when they're probably looking for separate added displays.

Even so, I don't think that's what they're looking for. That would result in both of the screens displaying the exact same thing, when they're probably looking for separate added displays.
DUH. That same path leads to Extend, but until Duplicate works, Extend will not either. Apparently there are issues with the display controls on this Surface PC.

DUH. That same path leads to Extend, but until Duplicate works, Extend will not either. Apparently there are issues with the display controls on this Surface PC.
Think it's more of an issue with the type of output they're using. Fairly certain VGA cables (even the splitters) are only meant to carry one video signal. At best, they'd be able to have the same video displaying on both screens, even if the display controls weren't messed up.

EDIT: Ah, I think I see the issue. Looks like the Surface Pro 4 only has native Mini DisplayPort video output, so I'm assuming they're going from Output -> DP to VGA adapter -> VGA Splitter. Obviously this would result in the computer thinking there's only one output, as the VGA splitter's just sending the analog signal down to the monitors. That would explain why the display controls for multiple monitors weren't working. VGA chaining doesn't exist. Thanks, purely analog signal.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ah, I think I see the issue. Looks like the Surface Pro 4 only has native Mini DisplayPort video output, so I'm assuming they're going from Output -> DP to VGA adapter -> VGA Splitter. Obviously this would result in the computer thinking there's only one output, as the VGA splitter's just sending the analog signal down to the monitors. That would explain why the display controls for multiple monitors weren't working. VGA chaining doesn't exist. Thanks, purely analog signal.
This makes sense and is frequently a common mistake - - good call (y)

This makes sense and is frequently a common mistake - - good call (y)

Yes, sorry for my poor explanation.. That seems to be exactly what is going on. Is there a way I can display on 2 monitors? Or will my Pro 4 only allow connection to 1?

Back