Connect to access point but no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmacalex

Hello All,
I would like to know if it is possible to connect sbs2003 to an existing wi fi network using a linksys wmp54gs card to a orange livebox, my network is a base unit pc hard wired and connected to livebox, plus two laptops that use livebox to connect for mail etc. I know it is unusual not to have the server hard connected and connect everything to it. all I want to do is connect the dell450 to my wi fi network to have internet access etc until I have the time the time to move everything around.
I can get the card to see the access point but it refuses to connect to the internet, please help with any suggestions i will try most things as i have puffed myself out trying to get this to work.
If you need more technical info pls ask ans i will do my best.

Many Thanks

Thank you for your replies, essentially my home network was a pc hardwired to a orange livebox, with the two laptops wifi able to join share etc, non of these used Linksys.
The Dell Precision 450 server is from my office it runs on sbs 2003, what I wanted to do was be able to access the internet with the server to update it clean the info on it etc until I had the time to configure the network through the server and use all its tools.

I managed to get the linksys wifi card to see the access point however it refused to connect to the internet, the card was associated with the livebox.

By some fluke it did connect to the internet, I allowed it to update, it then hung for 2hrs.

However the problem has now escalated, my server only boots to window start up page, I can access boot mode and have tried all the options from safe mode to boot logging but no joy.

I tried the Dell diagnostics cd its only error is a hard drive failing to start. I cannot reload sbs2003 as the discs have been vandalised, so I am left thinking is it possible to uninstall and try and reload another O.S, or if anyone could walk an trial and error learner through trying to get it back into life that would be excellent.
If it is mission impossible then so be it.

Cheers

Oh you have SBS Small Business Server 2003. Did this ever worked prior? When you first got the SBS and DELL P450 Server were you able to connect to the internet? If so what did you change prior you got this problem in your system?

Hi Tipster,
Yes the server was working ok, not brilliant and not the most reliable hence why I took it from my office and we now use a virtual server.

I would be delighted to tell you what changed to allow the wireless card to connect to the internet but the truth is I spent hours ticking and unticking various boxes. I did spend time in the DCHP area and it probably had some affect.
When i was connected to the internet the servers functions were working fine, it appears to have been related to downloading updates from windows, I thought that would be a smart move clearly not.

When the server boots now I am not asked for a password instead I am offered to press two function keys either to contiue or to go to boot menu.

None of the selections in boot menu take me any further. There are no bios beep alarms. I took the m/board battery out last night all that did was take me to setup for date time etc when rebooted.

I am getting grief from the missus now about the time I am spending trying to get it working so all ideas welcome before I launch it out the window.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back