Connecting enclosure/external harddrive to a printserver

By ibra0078
Dec 26, 2007
  1. Greetings!!

I was wondering I bought an external harddrive that connects to my computer using usb. I also have a printserver, can I connect the external harddrive to the printserver so I can access it from my network? I been told if I leave the enclosure powered on at all times it could fail much faster and easiler then shutting it off when I dont use it, is this true or can I just leave it on at all times?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You can connect it to the printserver no problem if the plug fits. The printserver probably won't make it available on the network though :) Thre are devices that can share USB storage, but they are not called or marketed as print servers.

The enclosure could fail tomorrow no matter what you do :) Always keep a backup of your precious data.
  3. ibra0078

ibra0078 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Do you know what will make the enclosure availabe on the network without having it to share it. As you said above what devices I can use to share a usb storage?
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.