Connecting my 2WIRE Wireless gateway with another Wireless router

By thething
Jul 27, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Im new to this forum and i just have a one question. Can i connect my 2WIRE wireless gateway with a wireless router?
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Yes. You have two routers and one needs to be set to be an access point only (the one with Wireless).

3. thething

thething Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

Yeah i can do that but if i disable the dhcp server then i dont have internet. the 2wire gateway is for my dsl connection.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I'm not saying your 2Wire is definitely a DHCP server (because I don't know the model), but it is very likely. 'Gateway' is basically telling you it is a router. Most routers you and I will use are definitely DHCP servers.

When you find out whether or not your 2Wire is a DHCP server or not, you should be able to switch it into a bridge if you'd prefer your other as a router. You'll need to consult your manual for the details.

Alternatively, DHCP serving may not be configured automatically. You'll need to enter your web admin utility to change the configuration of your 2Wire.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.