Connecting to a Pakedge S8Wpde Switch

I have a S8Wpde switch and am using all 8 ports. I have another device that I now need to add to the switch but I don't want to buy a bigger Pakedge. They are expensive! I found an old review about the S8W that says you can connect the S8W switch to another switch or hub by directly plugging into one of its ports without the need for a crossover cable. So, I thought I could buy a 5 port switch, move one device from the S8W over to the 5 port switch, plug the new 5 port switch into the S8W switch and then plug my new device into the 5 port switch. That will leave me with 2 extra ports on the 5 port switch if I ever need them. But does the new 5 port switch also need to be a Pakedge or would any PoE switch be compatible? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In default they should just work together. It does not need to be the same brand as long as PoE voltage is the same on both.

But does the new 5 port switch also need to be a Pakedge or would any PoE switch be compatible?
I am concerned there's a problem chaining multiple PoE switches.

The outermost connection (that which actually has non-PoE power) needs to provide all the power needed by the daisy chain. If the outermost is USB, then the max current is 500ma.

The original IEEE 802.3af-2003 PoE standard provides up to 15.4 W of DC power (minimum 44 V DC and 350 mA) on each port. Only 12.95 W is assured to be available at the powered device as some power dissipates in the cable.

I am concerned there's a problem chaining multiple PoE switches.

The outermost connection (that which actually has non-PoE power) needs to provide all the power needed by the daisy chain. If the outermost is USB, then the max current is 500ma.
I agree with @jobeard. Each switch needs independent power and the connecting port should have PoE disabled if possible.

Back