Connecting wireless printer to Windows 10 computer

ken smith

I have an Epson WF-3720 wireless capable printer (connected right now with usb) which I have tried but failed to connect wireless to my computer. Instructions in printer window say (after several steps) to press the WPS button on router. I am hesitant to press anything, so...is it safe to do so. I don't wish to foul up my router settings. Wife's laptop connected automatically immediately.?????

So what WPS does is it allows any device to connect to your router and the router sends the password to connect for those devices for 30-60 seconds. Obviously this is a potential security risk if you have any neighbors/hackers that are within range of your WiFi as they will be able to connect and be password authenticated on your network. However it is an easy convent way to connect a printer to a router.

I do have several neighbor connections showing in "connections" so I think I will pass on wps. Would Wireless Direct be a better choice?

That will work but it does not make your printer available on the network. It is a direct wifi connection between your device and the printer.

Thanks for the info. Helps me decide. Think I will stay with connections as they are (to preserve peace in my house). the old usb will do for me.

I have a local printer with a static, manually configured IP.

My wife's Mac and my Win/7 can print via wifi -- which ever system connects first starts first and the other just awaits job completion and then prints.

On both systems, using Add Printer, the Network Printer option was chosen and each system spools for itself.

Back