Connectivity Issues

By Abdullah719
Nov 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I had previously posted this on the Virus and Malware Removal forums but after thoroughly running scans, etc, the problem remained therefore I was advised to post this here.

I'm using Win 8.1. Been having problems every now and then but have been able to figure them out. This one is not getting resolved easily, however. I am having a problem accessing the internet outside of the browser that I utilize. Internet works fine in Waterfox and Chrome, but not in IE. Plus, the programs installed on my computer don't seem to be able to access the internet either, I.e. I cannot update Malwarebytes, Dropbox can't seem to connect, uTorrent doesn't seem to be able to get through either.

When I run the Windows Network Diagnostics, I'm getting an error "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". I have tried all possible solutions mentioned on the Microsoft forums which seem to have worked for others, but nothing has worked yet. The only thing I seem to have discovered is that if I run safe mode with networking, the problem isn't there; I was able to update Malwarebytes with no issues. I am connected via WiFi, previously I had no issues; they just popped up a couple of days ago. I have tried the 'netsh' commands often mentioned in relation to this; automatically detect proxy settings in Internet Options is most certainly enabled (and has always been); System File Checker has not had any success.

Sorry for the long post. So what should I do? I am considering refreshing Win 8.1 even though updating Office, etc again will take a massive chunk out of my limited bandwidth, so I would rather use that as a last resort. I've run scans with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and come up with zilch. Suggestions?

It's definitely not a Virus and/or Malware. Does anyone know any potential solutions? Thanks in advance.
  2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Addict Posts: 287   +73

Could you please provide computer information? Make and model of computer (or) if its custom built, please provide list of parts.
  3. Abdullah719

Abdullah719 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Lenovo Y510p 20217. Attached file details specs.

Attached Files:

4. Abdullah719

I should add that there are other devices utilizing the same network and not experiencing any such issues. The problem solely exists on this one.
  5. Abdullah719

Due to the lack of responses, I just went ahead and reset Windows. Problem now resolved.