Constantly reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HD will just keep rebooting. If I go into safe mode the last thing it will display is the recagent.sys file loaded then it will reboot. Ive tried using recovery console to repair the mbr. It does the same thing if I put it in another working computer.

Load Recovery Console.
do a chkdsk /f to fix any file system errors
Do a sfc /scannow to check all your windows files are ok
Download a disk diagnostic utility from the manufacturer and use that to check the health of your HDD.
If its got some bad results from the disk diagnostic test, then your HDD is unreliable and should be backed up and replaced asap.

Failing all that, you can try a windows Repair, which will overwrite the windows but will allow you to keep your data intact. Its advisable to do a backup of your important files if you can (by slaving it to another PC or using a live OS cd) before performing such a big system change.

Unless the two PCs you have are similar/same spec'd and motherboard (unless you try and boot into Safe Mode) then windows would probably give you an error trying to load, due to motherboard drivers being different.

recagent.sys is part of your modem software set..

Does safe mode work?

amfairall said:
Thats what im trying to avoid doing if I can

"If you can"... follow N3051M's instructions and maybe you won't have to loose your data. This is just one more reason to back up your important data isn't it

Its two totally seperate computers one is my custom job and the other is a dell. Safe mode doesnt work thats when it gets to the recagent.sys and reboots. I've tried to disable that file in recovery console and its tells me that there isnt a valid registry entry for it (or something like that, it was late last night) I've thought about trying a windows reinstall but I cant do it on my regular computer(i think its MB is bad). So.... I did run chkdsk /r/p and it said it found some errors and fixed them, not sure what those perameters do though And if I put it as a slave i seem to be able to access all of my file so I might just do that(When I get a new MB) soo much info Also I dont have any modem installed if that would make a difference.

did run chkdsk /r/p and it said it found some errors and fixed them, not sure what those perameters do though
The /R switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable infromation
the /p does nothing.

You can check this for your self in cmd/recovery console when you type in chkdsk /?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back