Consumers hoarded $47 billion in old smartphones last year

By Shawn Knight
Feb 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Unless you take part in one of the major wireless carriers' early upgrade programs, you've no doubt faced the question of what to do with your old mobile phone after upgrading to a shiny new handset. Curious to see exactly...

Read more
  2. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

If you can't find a picture of a pile of old smartphone don't waste a photo fee
  3. johnehoffman

johnehoffman TS Rookie Posts: 18   +10

My old handset is just lying around, but that's because it is a 7 year old flip phone with almost no value.

There is no way of knowing for sure, but I'd guess that the average value of phones NOT traded in or resold is somewhat less than the average value of those that are traded in or resold. That's because the more your old phone is worth, the greater incentive to do something to get the value out of it.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I think almost every phone I've stopped using has been activated and used again when the new phone broke for some reason or another. By the time they're really not needed anymore they're not worth anything.
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

When I get a new one, I keep the old one as a back up. When that new one gets replaced, it becomes the backup, and the backup is donated to the VA. I haven't had the need for a new one in a while. Got off the contract merry-go-round over 2 years ago, bought a G Note1 (international), straight talk, and it's still zipping right along.
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow, $47 billion, that is crazy!
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

I'm one of those hoarders. I have at least 8 cell phones lying around in my drawers at home. I still have my very first cell, a Motorola 7200 Star TAC from '95
  8. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Even my BB Curve 9300 is there, just wow. O.O
  9. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,617   +492

Perhaps, but every phone I've replace I've done so for a reason, either it doesn't vibrate anymore, battery doesn't hold a charge, the charging port has failed entirely, broken screen, non functional keypad. All my old phones are essentially valueless because of this, and my very first phone is in thousands of pieces due to impacting a cement wall after being fired out of my air cannon.
  10. As with another reader here - I keep my second-newest phone as my backup in case I hose the newest one rooting or installing custom ROMs. As each new phone is purchased the old backup goes to a family member. Right now my Galaxy Nexus is my GS4 backup. This works well since they can share a SIM card without the need for an adapter. As for the trade in programs out there ... virtually all of them earn the Single-digit-salute for ridiculously low trade-ins.
  11. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

I have about 4 phones lying around, I know they have zero resale value from motorola razers, star tacs to panasonic GD75 and several samsungs. Many still even have boxes lol