Controlling my PC Remotely

By mickylaren
Apr 2, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can I us a program like PCAnywhere to access a computer behind a NAT firewall (it's a Linksys Router)?

I'd go with gotomypc, but I don't like the idea of a subscription service.
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

yes as long as the port forwarding is set up correctly to allow it, otherwise you'd have to set that machine as the DMZ host. Check the manual for your router or the Linksys site for setting it up, also check PCAnywhere documentation(their site prolly has info) on what ports need to be set.
  3. nellakita

nellakita Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

ya you can control your computer from any were even through a router but dont pay for pc anywhere use the
    http://www.realvnc.com/
    it free and it works really well i like it better than the one xp comes with
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I"ve used PCRemote in the past with no problems.
  5. mickylaren

mickylaren Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 17

Hi -
    Thanks for all your help with this. PCAnywhere seemed to be a bit pricey, and gotomypc is a monthly fee. I will try the VNC software.

-Micky
  6. brylee

brylee Newcomer, in training

VNC is free but when it come to security, products like PCAnywhere or GoToMyPc would be more secure as they have enforced encryption.

If you are looking for an affordable secure solution, then RemotePC would be a better choice.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.