Converting Works to Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working in a university where we are trying to collect our first batch of electronic essays. Our markers use Word. I told the students they could send essays in .rtf format if they didn't have Word on their computer, but it seems that they are having all kinds of problems getting photos to save etc. Oops.

What would be the best advice to give to students who only have Works on their system?

I tried downloading the Microsoft converter program, and I can now open .wps files, however the pictures don't display. There was an error message advising me to "re-install Works", however this program doesn't have a de-install option.

Grateful for any advice!

Issi

Welcome to Techspot!
You should be able to un-install most applications in Add&Remove icon in Control panel.
Did you try sending pictures in .jpg format ?Many different programs can open them.

Where you able to un-install? Otherwise you can try installing on top of the existing program ,it won't hurt anything.

I've tried this already too - doesn't make any difference.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to insist that people submit in .doc format?

For those Students that have Works it is no problem. Works can save in all compatible .doc to Word 6.o/ Win 95.They just scroll down in th Save As window.
What's unreasonable about that?

Do you know if this is the case for all versions of Works? If so, then I don't know what they're making all the fuss about!!

Do not quote me ,because I got Works for the first time this May . Ver. 2004 came with my new Laptop(I use Office for S.B.)
The point is Works I always thought was the cheaper version of Office and qualified as an upgrade for full Office products.
It follows that all/ most previous versions would convert their files.
I would check the Microsoft web support to confirm.
Let us know what transpires.

O.K. according to the Help files in Works 2004,Files made in Works for Win 3.0 can still be opened in 2004 and therefore converted to .doc for Office 95/6 or later(plus Wordperfect and many others).
They note that some 'minor' formatting may be lost,what is noted is lost watermarks .Not too serious!

I doubt that , Win 3.0 is a far back as anyone would be .I really can't see anyone not being able to conform.
Win 1.0 - 2.+ are just too obsolete.
And Works can convert from Dos ,so don't sweat it.
Let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back