TechSpot

Cooling Glitch with IBM 8183-GNU Thinkcentre

By toocan
Aug 8, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an IBM Thinkcentre 8183-GNU which, according to IBM, is running the infamous Prescott P4 SL7E5 (3.2 GHz), at least one of them anyway. I say this because Speed Fan seems to indicate two processors, system information shows two processor entries and the heat sink certainly looks wide enough for two. I haven't pulled it apart far enough to see for sure. Is this SL7E5 some kind of dual core or something?

Anyway, here's the problem: On 100% CPU usage, the temperatures just keep climbing past 84 C on one of the Speed Fan readouts and then the thing shuts down, probably on some kind of thermal trip. The fans ramp up in speed which is normal I guess but they just can't keep it cool. Everything is clean in there, no dust build up on the sinks, ambient was about 25 C. On idle, Speed Fan shows a max of 60 C on one readout and about 53 C on the other readout. One guy I know says that's too hot for idle.

The OEM heatsink kind of looks like a cheap afterthought. I have looked into new copper passive finned sinks (the two fans mount in the case adjacent to the sink). NexusTek in Holland has a nice looking passive copper sink that might fit (it's a small form factor case, tighter'n a drum in there) but I guess you have to pull the mainboard to mount these things and I don't really feel like doing that. And what if it does have two CPUs?

It turns out the thing is still under warranty. I got it off Ebay as a liquidated comp from a business that probably went toes up, there was no hard drive (probably pulled and drilled for security reasons). I installed a Seagate SATA 400 gig drive, some more memory to raise the as-bought 512 to 1512 MB, a BenQ DW-1640 to replace the OEM DVD-ROM and a retail copy of XP Pro. I contacted IBM and they say I can get fixed under warranty so I'll do that. The reason I bought the thing in the first place was the small form factor, it's semi portable and with a 15" LCD screen, I can carry the thing in a handbag. Keyboards and mice are a dime a dozen and I'll get new ones when I travel.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone running similar IBM comps as test stands, hack platforms or whatever. They're kinda cool (no joke intended there).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.