Cooling my 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

I bought a Sapphire Tech video card awhile back (when it was $360). I can only OC it about 10mhz before I get artifacts.

I think for $360 it shoulda been better, but whatever. Anyways, I was wondering if someone could recommend a good VGA cooling solution?

I was thinking about the Arctic Cooling Silencer 3 for ATI.

Sorry to jump in here late Sub. I have the AC Silencer on my vmodded 9800Pro, and it does an excellent job of cooling. Can't believe there is anything out there better, short of water!

Later....

Ok, I like both models, and here is why.

Arctic Cooling Silencer
PRO - is quiet and blows the hot air directly out the back of the system.
CON - No cooling solution for the RAM (which is probably where your issue is with the Sapphire card...)

Giant III
PRO - has RAM cooling solutions included. Large heatsink for disapating a lot of heat
CON - heat stays in the system and must be exhausted by 80mm fans

Either one should work fine for your card. I recommend getting RAM sinks with the Silencer.

Bug

Right you are Bug about cooling the memory. I used the TweakMonster ramsinks on my built by Ati card, and the do get quite warm to the touch.

Later....

The earlier 9800 pros, especially if you have the R350 and not the R360, may have higher latency ram. I have a sapphire 9800 pro with the R350, and I can get a good 40mhz increase to RAM and 60mhz to GPU with no problems, but mine is a later revision. If you have the earlier memory used, there is not much you can do - the ram is just of inferior quality.

I have the VGA Silencer and It works perfectly. Ive got the card clocked at 425/710 and it only gets warm. I bought a package of BFG RAM heatsinks at Circuit City for $15. They fit perfectly under the cooler.
The stock HSF on this card was huge but it was worthless. The card would overheat and lock up even at stock speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back