TechSpot

Copying a .voi file from APTIVA TAM to CD

By Craig Smith
Nov 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Anybody out-there help with a SIMPLE problem ... OLD system?

Anyone know how I can copy a phone message (file) form my (Aptiva) “operator” program to a CD?

I hope I chose the proper forum; but I fear I have an "older" operating system.

This computer is an older IBM Aptiva Pentium® 40.0 MG ram, “machine type” = 2168, model # M-61 (SL-H), mfg date: 512 [note, the mfg’s label also has this: “NOM-018” on it sandwiched between two bold horizontal lines] with Windows ’95 {4.00.950} as an operating system.

What I mean by a " phone message" is that there are several phone messages saved as a ".voi" files on the Aptiva in what is called the "Telephone Answering Machine {"TAM"] and, in turn, part of "The Operator" (as in telephone & fax interface/program). However, the way Aptiva's are made (or at least I've been TOLD) is part of the sound-card in-turn functions AS PART OF THE MOTHERBOARD.

The computer trace source is: My Computer\Hardrive(c)\Phoenix\Tam\mailbox0\Old 017.voi-thru-Old461.voi.

More simply put, I am trying to copy several of the files that the "Operator" has stored (they are all ".voi" files) in it's message center onto a CD (different/newer computer) AFTER (as-in: also need to) converting these to a standard/playable format.

NOTE (1): This Aptiva has a CD player but it does not record; however, it records (writes) to a floppy disk => therefore, I would be saving the files to a floppy disk. I have another computer that can read & copy from a floppy disk and then write to (save those files) to a CD., BUT I also need to convert those files to a format others so that those files can be 'played' on other machines, too.

NOTE 2: right now; however, I cannot "open" the files listed above on any computer other than the Aptiva referenced above. Should I copy files that can not be opened????...it seems that would be a waste of time/effort.

Also, and as part of, searching for the files using Windows Explorer the error message for each file {when I double-click on them in order to open that file} says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Options." >> {after doing that SOME of the more applicable choices [under a tab entitled: "File Types"] are: "Address book file," "AIFF Format Sound," "AU Format Sound," "Audio CD," "CD Audio Track," "CTL File" {interestingly, all these .voi files seem to also have a separate , "M3U file," "MP3 format sound," "MTC File," "MVB File," "PET File," "RealAudio," "RES File," "SAN File," "SDT File," "Sound(VOY)," "TBM File," "TRO File," VOI File" {and this one depicts the very same icon as that shown with the .voi files above}, " Then there is yet another tab entitled: "View" but this doesn't seem to establish that needed association. -- I am hesitant to establish any such "association" as (1) I am not at all sure I should do such a thing BEFORE I copy the file; and, (2) I don't know how to re-associate a file after I have guessed wrongly. >> So, which one should I “associate” with the file in order to ‘open’ it?

Again...THANKS for YOUR help in this emotionally important effort!!

Just to recap:
    (1) Can you tell me HOW to make the CD … remember I will need to convert the file
    (TOO) at some point?
    (2)Can you tell me HOW to associate a program to open a file?

***I am pretty computer illiterate, really stretched my knowledge-base to get this far, so PLEASE give me some (literal) steps to follow & use.

2. chrisdenman

chrisdenman TS Rookie

Hi Craig,

I desperately wish I could help you - I am actually in exactly the same boat as you, and I google every now and again to see if there's any new discussion on the topic - by coincidence I found your recent post on this board!

My files came from the same source - an ancient program called 'Operator' that came with my Aptiva machine, about 14 years old. I have researched extensively and had absolutely no luck - and I don't even have the original machine any more, or indeed a copy of Operator.

I wish I could give you better news... please let me know how you get on as I would love to be able to play my .VOI files!

Chris

3. Tigger31337

Tigger31337 TS Rookie

Chris, Craig...

Stay tuned for developments on this.
    I, too, am in the same boat. A few years ago I *was* able to convert old .VOI to WAV files but I didn't document the procedure. Now, I discovered a few more .VOI's that I'd like to convert. I know I did it without my original Aptiva M75 (and MWave card). I used either VMware or Virtual PC, an Aptiva recovery CD, and a helluva lotta time!! :)

Let me see if I can at least re-extract the necessary software and drivers. That way, you guys can throw them into a virtual Win95 image of your choice and play around with it.

- Tigger

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.