TechSpot

Cortana doesn't cooperate with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella during live demo

By Shawn Knight
Sep 17, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Presenting on stage in front of an audience of hundreds or even thousands can be a daunting task. Add in some tech demos and the fact that millions may be watching live around the world and you’ve got a recipe ripe for failure – just ask Satya Nadella.

During a keynote at the Salesforce Dreamforce conference last night in which he was speaking with Jessi Hempel from Wired, Nadella attempted to show off some of what Cortana can do. As you’ll see in the clip above, Microsoft’s CEO asked the virtual assistant “show me my most at-risk opportunities.”

What Cortana heard was quite different: “Show me to buy milk at this opportunity.” Whoops.

Nadella kept his cool and tried again but it was clear that it wasn’t going to work. Fortunately, his team backstage was able to lend a helping hand.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

Did he program/set his accent?
    I setup Dragon Medical for docs all the time, there are various preset accent's to accommodate all types of users.

Auth3ntic0 and LisaNetLust like this.
  3. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

Cortana thinks 'she' was the wife of Nadella hence the insistence of buying milk...
    time for Cortano, the 'male buddy'... ;)

also, probably this ^...

4. PixelMediaArts

PixelMediaArts TS Rookie

Results should have been...

“Show me all of my blueberry Squishies.”

And then Apu would appear to give results :)

5. j05hh

j05hh TS Booster Posts: 140   +22

At what minute does this take place?

6. The information you seek is in the second paragraph of the article.

7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

As Duke Nukem would say, time to make love again and kick some cows, as I'm all out of milk.

GeforcerFX likes this.
  8. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

If he could speak English it might have worked...

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

He looks like a little garden gnome to me.

10. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

Kinda hard to get cortana to understand you when you have a thick accent and you are on a stage with tens or hundreds of people making noise.

11. sac39507

sac39507 TS Enthusiast Posts: 36   +6

It should have done what it does to all MS product users and just explain the obvious with a any resolution to the problem: "This stopped working"

12. roberthi

roberthi TS Enthusiast Posts: 79   +11

All he had to do was to say, "Show me to buy milk at this opportunity" and it would have given him the business data he was looking for.

Duh!

13. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Booster Posts: 158

At 10:43.