TechSpot

Counter Strike, not responding

By lucksy
Nov 20, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have a problem with counter streike source, when i go to join a server, it 'retrieves server info' and it always freezes mid way through, every time. i cant even play because of this, i asked friends fro mschool and noone else has had this problem. i really wanna know what is causing it and how i can change it to allow me to play.

the only way i can get onto a server right now is if i have to download files from the server, such as a map or sound. but if i go to a regular map with no add ons then i cant play, nor can i play the same server twice because then i would already have had all of the files that you had to download.

can someone please give me some pointers?

2. demolitionman9

demolitionman9 TS Rookie

Whoa man....I have the EXACT same problem...I'm so mad about it...

If I hear anything about it, I'll tell you.

3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Do you use a firewall?

Sometimes when you play steam's games with a firewall your internet connection to a server starts to really suck, Just disable it ( temporarily ) for play then re-enable it when you're just on your PC or going on the net

If you tried this or dont have a firewall then check your internet connection to see if it's working properly

If this STILL doesnt help then try looking around the Steam Tech support ( http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/home.php )

Hope this helps :)

4. Conjon

Conjon TS Rookie Posts: 77

I suggest deleting everything in your steam folder expect steam itself and steamapps.

5. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

True, just go to the Steam folder in Program files and delete all the games inside SteamApps ( Dont delete steamapps itself because your games might get corrupted ) then when you play the game again Steam will make a fresh copy of the game for you :)

6. demolitionman9

demolitionman9 TS Rookie

Whoa!!!

THANKS TIME PARADOX!!!!!!!! THAT WAS EXACTLY IT!!!! It still sometimes freezes up, but most of the time its fine!!!! THANKS!!! All I had to do was exit out of all the anti-spyware programs!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.