Counter Strike Ping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_will-e-kers

Hey i am a first time writer for this site but it looks like you guys get results so here goes...

i have a problem with ping on counter strike. i recently got broadband and am running at 256k. So my ping should be relatively low around like 30. But it isn't it sits at like 450 (that is worse than a 56k modem). it is only counter stike that does it aswell, warcraft III goes fast and i can surf the net fast, it is only counter strike. i don't know how to fix it up. AAAAHHHHH please help asap. Feel free to e-mail or just reply any help will be much appreciated. PLEASE HELP!!!

You can specify a port through that, and different ports could have had different speed with CS.

yeh i deffinately tried more than 1 server and they all say the same thing 450 or so ping

1.3Ghz, 256mb ram, radeon 9000 128mb ddr

That doesn't affect it though coz my net still goes fast it is just counter strike on line.

maybe there is some kind of config command i can use or something

Hmm thats wierd, then it is deffinately something in counter strike.
ill look around in my CS folder, and see what i can find. If I see any settings that might change connection speed I will post here.

Try reinstalling CS it cant hurt to try. I am still looking for possibilities.

Good Luck, STK

oh ok thats great thanks.
Yes it is a puzzling one, i don't get it myself i mean my net is fine until it comes down to cs. Thanks for the help mate and i'll wait for the reply

it is version 1.5 and i just re installed it but no luck it still laggs

i haven't tried 1.6 yet maybe i should??? um also i had to download the full retail patch to upgrade it from 1.0.0.0 to 1.0.0.5. the patch was 115 meg, maybe that screwed it up??
i dunno

You should try anything that wont hurt your system. I got to get some rest, but if i find something i will let you know.

Good Luck

Download Spybot and run the scan. It is possible that you have some Spyware/Adware on your system that is doing some kind of data transfer that is eating up your bandwidth and causing the huge latencies that you are experiencing. Also make sure you have the latest patches from Microsoft for your version of windows as DSO Exploits in IE have been seen to allow installation/execution of code on peoples systems without any notification and with no confirmation required from the user to allow this.

I don't mean to scare you but this would be one thing that could be causing this issue. How are your download speeds? Are the normal or are they unexpectedly slow. This could tell you for sure whether or not its just a counter-strike problem or whether its an issue with your connection.

Let us know what you find out ;)

EDIT: Ignore me, I just re-read your post noticing that you said that it is just CS that does this. Try setting the game settings to "DSL" as you may still have cl_updaterate, rate and cl_cmdrate set to values for 56k dial up. This would result in a less than perfect ping for CS servers, but I wouldn't think it would be as extreme a problem as you are reporting.

yeh i have got spyware scanner and i don't have spyware on my comp (i wish it would just be that easy). And my download speed is like 25kb/s on average so it aint slow.

i also have the latest version of ie (i downloaded the patch not long ago) ;-)

Thanks for your help though. Please try something else coz i am out of ideas???

Ok i might have it, in console when you are playing Net games set rate to 9999 see if that helps. You just put "rate 9999" into console.

Good luck

hey i updated my version of cs and it helped alot. i mean i downloaded the full retail patch but it wasn't the full update, how wierd, but it reduced my ping to around 150. I am still pissed though coz with 256 it should be around 40. i set my cl_cmdrate to 45 and my average ms is around 90, though it should be around 3. WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Are you connecting to a server thats quite far away from you? Do the server pings show as being this high in the server brower or only after you have entered a server?

maybe reduced your cl_cmdrate to around 30. cl_updaterate to around 20-25. you might need to lower those two. experiment.

my ping gets higher if i set my cl_cmdrate cl_updaterate too high.

yeh i already tried messing around with my cl_cmdrate and that. no luck though. I called my isp and they say that the speed of 256 doesn't vary from isp to isp, they claim to have nothing to do with the slow speed. They are probably lieing and are **** so thats probably why it keeps lagging. but i dunno thanks for all your help though

i dont know

Hi, i have just the same problem you have dude :(
the surfing speed on the inet is very good..
Just in cs its bad :(

Hey i also have the same problem with my connection. i have a 1500k dsl line and just one pc on it. my pings are constantly as high as 50 and my ms jumps to 35 how would i fix that up to be as quick as possible?.
my pc is as follow

3200+
1g ddr 400
400g+ raid0
9600xt.

surfing is great and my downloads are about a constant 200k but in games it just seems to lag out. i have no spyware or virus' on my pc at all and i scan them daily. no other software is running in the background at the same time.

i have the same problem internet is extremely fast just couter strike ping in the rang of 200-400!!!!!someone plz help us

ty

I too have found this problem tonight. i was in a server, with a ping between 40 and 60 at all times, then BAM! went up to 600+, and i couldnt get it down. i didnt feel the lag, but it happened to all the servers.
But i also had another weird problem. After updating the server list a few times, just hoping it would go away, i found a few at 90 and 130ish. So i figured I'd add them to my fave list, since im always looking for low ping servers. I figured if they are that low with everything else at 400+, they would be awesome when i fixed the problem. But as soon as they were put onto my list, they went straight up into the 400s and 500s along with all the other servers.
G-will, bigseth, and everyone else, are you two running steam to play CS? cause i am... :confused:

hello,
I have the same problem of ping. I want to try to setup things in consol. but i cant acces it!!! the key "~" right??? IT DOES NT WORK!!! how can i acces the consol???

please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back