CPU Change i5 to i7

Hello, I want to make the switch to a better CPU. I am an avid gamer and want to increase my computers perforamnce. Is it possible to switch from an Intel Core i5 6500 to an i7 without switching motherboard? My mother board is ASUS H170 PRO GAMING. If it is possible what version of i7 do you recommend if money wasn't an issue (of course it is ;) ). Also was thinking about getting an SSD, based on my specs below would and SSD and new CPU boost my performance dramatically especially if I am trying to stream games with high FPS?

PC Specs:
CPU: Skylake i5 6500
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA)
Mother Board: ASUS h170 pro gaming
16GB Ram

Look motherboard up in support section of manufacturer's website. The should be QVL (qualified vendor list) of CPUs which you can use on your system.

A friend may find good use for your old CPU, but make sure you have updated motherboard firmware as may be needed before you take it off.

If you want to increase your performance in games, generally your graphics card is whats going to be holding you back. However, if you want to improve performance in a cpu bound title/render or edit videos, then I would recommend the i7-7700 non-k. The one thing though is that you'll probably have to flash your bios.

Back