CPu Decent temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Smee

I have a AMD 3000 and last weak it wqas a real stinker around 40C and my CPu had a core temp of 70-72C I was like whats going on a few more days of these temp and my motherboard will melt so what I did was I insertend a fan that sux the hot air out and a fan that blows cool air in.

This week it was about 10-5 C cooler and wid all my fans going this week I was getting core temps of 63-65C Is this normal??? howw can I cool My CPU down???

Edited because of language
--Mictlantecuhtli

Originally posted by El_Smee
whats a good CPU temp then

BTW when my CPU was over heating could ov it done n e damage

Most new motherboards have a fail-safe system to shut down if your cpu temp gets into the danger zone. You're running pretty high, but obviously not high enough to trip the switch.

Follow agissi's advice....it's right on the mark. Also pay close attention to your thermal paste or pad. Make sure you use one or the other....not both and according to the manufacturer's directions.....pay close attention to that.

Good luck.

63-65C is bad, but 70-72C was even worse. The thing is, you can run your CPU at that temperature, but it will cut down on the longevity of your 3000+, and I'm sure you want to keep it.

You don't need to spend so much on a heatsink if you don't want to, you only need something like that if you were going to overclock (which I'm not suggesting). It'll be over $60 once you get a fan. You can get a good $20 heatsink that'll keep your CPU at an excellent temp for every day use. Or even an $11 heatsink, like this one -> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-124-002&catalog=62&depa=0
That heatsink isn't some cheap piece of junk, it's rated for the 3000+ and made out of copper. It should do you just fine, you don't need to pay $60 for a heatsink you'll never take advantage of. And, even if you did want to overclock, that wouldn't be the heatsink I would pick anyway.

A good CPU temp would be somewhere around 35C load. But you don't need to run at that, even 50C load would be perfectly alright for your CPU.

In reality, when you were at 70C, your CPU wasn't exactly "overheating". Athlon XPs are designed to handle over 90C core temp, and over that would be overheating and damaging your processor.

THx for the adivce I am planning to get the heatsink Vehementi
sujested there is only one problem Im not From the US I'm from Australia and i believe that site is based in the US

http://www.altech.com.au
that is an online Austrlian CPU store one of the biggest but I cant find the Kingwin CPU Fan, Model "KCU-7025" -OEM can some one plz help me find that heatsink on Altech or an equvitant heat sink.

It does not really matter what online store you use as long as its in Australia

THX

El_Smee

Well to add to what has been said. I don't think any heatsink that attaches to your 3000+ cpu is crap enough to produce those temps if properly placed. It seems to me that its likely that you or whoever put the heatsink on the processor messed up a bit. You should apply a small amount of somthing like Artic Silver before putting the heatsink on. Thermal Pads are also an option but you'll find a strong opposition to them on these boards. Anyway I just find it difficult to believe that your processor was running that high unless the heatsink was applied incorrectly.

But as Rick said in another thread, generally if you aren't having instability problems your temp isnt' too high.

Yes Veh is right abotu it decreasing the processor life if it runs hot, but I've never seen any real proof that it is anything important. I think its more something like this:
Run at 30C for 15 years
Run at 70C for 8 years
Now great, you lost almost half your processor life, but you know what, you probably aren't goign to be running that same processor in 15 years or even 8. So I say don't worry about it unless you are having stability problems.

OK SNGX1275 I took your advice and riped open my CPU took out my heatsink (Socket A is a ****ing Nightmare to Remove BTW) removed the old heat sink compound and added new expencive crap repostioned the heatsink so it was just right and cliped it back to gether but im still getting readouts any where from 62-66 C.

Ive come to a conclution that its the peice of crap heat sink that came wid my prossesor 60mm just dont cut it and its like 98% alaminium its just a peice of ****.

And heres my next obsticle if I remove the heat sink that came wid my prossesor and put a new one on it will void my prossesors warranty.

Yours Truely Pissed off

El_Smee

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Thermal Pads are also an option but you'll find a strong opposition to them on these boards. Anyway I just find it difficult to believe that your processor was running that high unless the heatsink was applied incorrectly.

Thermal pads are good, but not great. Thermal pastes (like Arctic Silver) are the best but only for people who want to deal with applying it, which is difficult, to say the least. With thermal pads you just stick them on, and they work fine.

That Altech site you posted, El_Smee, looks like a good store but has crap for heatsink selection. If you want, any of those Zalman coolers (for Socket A of course) would be great for cooling, especially if you want your computer to be really quiet, but it's at an extra cost, which by preferring a $12 heatsink over one that costs 5x as much I assume you want to avoid.

Here's some good heatsinks I would reccomend, that I found at some Australian online retailers.

CoolerMaster CP5-6J31C - Price: $21.50 ASD ($16.55 USD) - Rated for AthlonXP 3200+ and up
Retailer link
Manufacturer link, for a picture and specs
This is probably the heatsink you should get, it's rated for a 3200+ and it's only $5 USD more than the Kingwin I posted. Plus it probably cools better, and I trust Cooler Master more than Kingwin.

Thermaltake Volcano 10+ - Price: $29 ASD ($22.33 USD) - Rated for Athlon XP 3400+ and up
Retailer link
Manufacturer link
This heatsink is a little more expensive, but it would be a great cooler, Thermaltake makes some awesome heatsinks, not that Cooler Master doesn't, but Thermaltake is just awesome. Plus this heatsink looks alot better if you're gonna put a window on your case or get one w/ a window pre-installed.

Cooler Master Aero 7 LITE - Price: $29 ASD ($22.33 USD) - Rated for Athlon XP 3200+ and up
Retailer link
Manufacturer link
Get this heatsink if you wanted a more expensive heatsink but you didn't like how the Thermaltake looked or something. This one is another straight shot, but I dunno how good it performs against the Thermaltake. The Thermaltake would be a better choice IMHO, but I dunno some people are wierd and need different choices ;)

And what kind of thermal paste did you get? You said it was expensive, I just hope you didn't get ripped off, it's easy with stuff like thermal paste. I'd only reccomend Arctic Silver. Be sure to put the same thermal paste on a new heatsink if you were to get one, they usually come with pads already installed.

And don't worry about the whole different-heatsink-voided-warranty deal, if your processor went bad and you returned I highly doubt they could tell you used a different heatsink on it.

I like the Thermaltake Volcano 10+ and am planing on grtting it the thermal paste I got is Radio shacks own brand its fairly expencive but was recomended to me buy my cousin who is a Computer Teck.

Good choice, El_Smee. I had a Thermaltake Volcano 9 with my old Athlon XP 2100+, and it was all I ever wanted in a heatsink, great at cooling, adjusting fan speed (So I could turn it almost all the way off for listening to a movie or something, or all the way up for gaming or other full load applications. Sure did make a difference in sound.), and it looked good too. I still use the same fan (it had a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II on it) and fan grill on my new heatsink, the Thermalright SP94, it just goes with my Thermaltake Xaser case :)

But besides that, I don't know about that thermal paste you got. It should work ok, but buying Arctic Silver would've been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back