TechSpot

Cpu Fan Not Working!

By lesstthebest
Dec 19, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a standard Compaq Presario 6295EA and i thought that i could oc my cpu. So I bought myself the "Vortex Dream ACC-U72" and pluged it in to the motherboard. The cpu temp went up from 30*C(IDLE with standard cpu fan) to 40*C(IDLE with Vortex Dream, turned to full speed, the cpu was :hotbounce BURNING UP :hotbounce ). I opened the chasi and saw that the cpu fan wasn't turning. I tried the fan on my friends computer to insure that the fan wasn't defect and it worked like a charm. What can be wrong? my thoughts are that my power-supply isn;t good enough, but how can i tell?
  2. engel_wolf

engel_wolf TS Rookie Posts: 43

Well, I dont think that the PSU is the problem. How did you connect the fan? I'd look closer at that, and, if you can, try plugging the fan into a different 3 pin connector. That will give you a better idea if its the fan or PSU.
  3. well I have a computer with a Presario Mobo and the fan plugs into the Mobo so if it were mine I would source the power for it straight from the wires out of the PSU but mine only has 2 wire 1 red 1 black :)
  4. lesstthebest

lesstthebest TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, thanx for the help but I've solved my problem.
    It turned out that the 3-pins connector to the cpu on the motherboard for some reason wasn't delivering enough power. So I borrowed my friends 3-pins to 4-pins connector and coneected the cpu through that directlly to the psu. AND IT WORKED AS A CHARM :D ! Thnax again for any help!
  5. Phatman1980

Phatman1980 TS Rookie

My sisters laptop has been having the same problems. I've not yet taken it apart since she goes to school in Utah and I live in Arizona. My dad had grabbed speedfan and when we looked at the temp, the harddrive should have been on fire. 122 f was the reading. At first when it started happening I didn't have a clue. The recent findings has helped, and I've been reading that many have found a ton of dust on the coolers. I'll have to take a look into that. :hotouch:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.