CPU for a $1000 computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

Just looking for something reliable that I won't have difficult problems with, won't need to upgrade any time soon, and will be satisfied with performance. The most frequently suggested are Q6600 and E6850.

Was already suggested a Q6600 with a motherboard (don't remember which), I just want to know what CPU, not looking for the combination, that'll come later if it's necessary.

I just built a computer in that price range with a Q6600. Luckily I was one of the first to receive the Q6600 for about $200. Beside memory issue (which is fixed now), everything runs exceptionally fast. This is my first Intel which I am very excited about. So far everything has been good. Perhaps some one else can give some more insight.

or you can get an e8400 (3.0ghz, 1333 fsb) once they get back in stock for a better price than the e6850 ($229 vs $279) and it will have a better ability to overclock theoretically then the e6850 due to it being a 45nm processor.

The E8400 is the best deal. Runs cooler, consumes less power and able to beat the Q6600 in everything except Photoshop and some other editing apps that take advantage of all the four cores. It will also overclock much further than the 65nm chip.

It's going to be used for games and internet, I don't intend to do any sort of media on it, so I might as well go with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back