CPU going crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllewe

For some reason when i booted up just a minute ago my CPU seemed like it was alot louder. Now it wont shut up, even if i am just at my desktop it is running at 30-70% according to the task manager. Any idea what it may be?

Hello Sean.

CPUs don`t make a sound themselves only the fan that is attatched to them.

Other things that make a noise in you computer are case fans hard drives cd/dvd drives and the psu fan or fans.

The amount of cpu usage even though you are just sitting at your desktop depends on what processes are actually running on your system.

If you take a look at the running processes in the task manager then you will be able to see what is actually running.

Have you got a lot of icons in your system tray?

If so you can usually close them down(if you don`t need them) by right clicking and selecting exit.

If you would like to know what your cpu temperature is you can always down load MBM5(motherboard monitor 5) from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Also there is a programme call cpuidle that will actually cool your cpu it does this by shutting down parts of your cpu that are not needed it`s a fantastic little programme.

You can get cpuidle from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=433

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Ps be sure to install mbm5 before cpuidle cause cpuidle requires mbm5 to be already running on your system.

Thanks Howard for the tip, yea i took a second look at the task manager and clearly there was a program that was causing the lag. Not sure what is was, only that i have never seen it there before. Got to do a little more investigating to find out what it was. As far as cpuidle and mbm, i run them both all the time.

Thanks
Sean

Found the culprit

I did a quick reboot figuring the program might show itself agian, and sure enough it did. The task manager said viewpoint.exe. I check my control panel and sure enough i have some program called viewpoint that was updating itself, thus causing my lag. I have never used viewpoint (at least i dont think) and it says it is a program used to view media. Does anyone know if it would be a problem if i got rid of it? I would rather not have to deal with it everytime i boot up

Thanks
Sean

Hi Sean.

If you don`t use it uninstall it, or you could go into msconfig and stop it from running on startup.

umm can u help me

howard_hopkinso said:
Hi Sean.

or you could go into msconfig and stop it from running on startup.

hi how do you get into msconfig i've been wanting to remove some programs from launching at startup thanks.

In Windows 98/ME/XP, Start Menu -> Run -> msconfig
It is not available out of the box on Windows 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back