TechSpot

CPU & Mobo compatibility...????

By dezrox
Sep 15, 2006
  1. I built a computer recently and for some reason i start it up with no problem but i cant get to the bios ... i had no beeps or warning signs... but still nothing on screen...

I had all my parts tested from cpu to vid card hdd except memory thats the next thing ... i bought 2 of the same mobos thinkin thats it but nope nothing ...

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73 GHz HT
    Mobo: ASUS P5ND2-SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI
    Video Card: BFG GeForce 7900 GTX

I still think that my mobo is the problem but ima test the memory anyways ...so if you know a really good mobo that will be perfect for the cpu ... gimmie a link or name.. i was looking into a intel one im just not sure if cpu can still work even tho it says Intel EE but doesnt say anything HT .. .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121286

2. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 76

What power supply are you using?

do you have the 4pin yellow and black connector connected to the motherboard?

3. dezrox

dezrox TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have bfg 700 wat sli ready psu.. yeah i had the 4 pin plugged into the mobo.. is there a color based thing i missed...

4. Moimit

No don't worry about the colour, and you should be right with that monster PS. Does it power at all?

5. dezrox

well lets see i turn the computer on ... all the fans turn on including the psu fan... green light on the mobo is on ... cpu fan is spining.. well everythin seems to power up but nothing on screen ... only thing thats not workin are the dvd rom it doesnt open...

6. Moimit

try unplugging the dvd rom and all of the IDE cables. Have you tried removing the Cmos battery to reset everything to defaults?

7. dezrox

yeah i have taken the battery out ,, yeah i have tryed all that ... but still nothing ... so i guess ima test the memory then ima just buy a tottaly diffrent mobo ... cuz i bought 2 of the same maybe they just sux...

8. Moimit

Do you have another motherboard you can test the cpu/gfx/ram in? no use getting rid of a perfectly ace motherboard if its something else.

9. dezrox

well i have two exactly the same mobos with the same problem lol thats why im looking for a new one...

10. Moimit

Which country do you live in? how much would you want for the board?

11. dezrox

im in NYC ... well i paid what about 100 ill sell it to u for 30 .. if u want ...

12. Moimit

well i guess thats one bad thing about not living in the US. sorry dude try ebay or something.

13. dezrox

ok well how about you tell me whats the best mother board i can get for that cpu..

cpu - Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73 GHz HT

14. Moimit

well there are lots of things to look for, Did you want to go SLI? how many other things would you want? like firewire.

15. Moimit

The next thing is what speed is your memory? anything over 667 5-5-5-15 will have a problem. I've been looking up some motherboards and as long as you're not going to SLI i would recommend the GA-965P-S3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128017
    Cpu Support list
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...erboard&ProductID=2321&ProductName=GA-965P-S3

I'm not sure which 3.73ghz processor you have. there is the 965XE processor and another one which doesn't have any specific number.

I have built three new computers using this motherboard and they seemed to be fine with almost any processors i threw at them

16. mattw

mattw TS Rookie Posts: 88

cant get into the BIOS? can your pc load upto in the Windows okay?

if it can load into windows okay, but you cant get into BIOS is it because you tap the DEL key like made and nothing happens? or dont get given the option?

i had this problem once, only to discover it was because i was using a USB keyboard and you need a PS2 one to access BIOS.

17. dezrox

nah i have the right keyboard that aint the problem

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.