CPU/Mobo upgrade for non gaming

Hello,

Here is a quick summary for those who don't want the whole shebang: I need suggestions for a good ATX motherboard and CPU that will handle simple games like Roblox and 1080p movie streaming.

I have a nearly 10 year old desktop computer, nothing special at all. It is the family desktop, so it will not be used for anything other than super light gaming (my nephew plays Roblox on it), surfing and watching movies. I bought a BenQ 1080p 24'' monitor for my own gaming PC and connected it to both that and this desktop to give the rest of the family a bit of an upgrade. I noticed right away that the computer already performed slower with this higher resolution. It is also running a 32-bit processor, and I have a copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit that I want to put on that machine, so I need suggestions for a CPU and mobo that will run me less than buying a new computer from scratch. The parts are all good and well maintained, I just want to upgrade to 64 bit so that we can take advantage of the free upgrade to windows 10, and possibly even adding more memory in the future if my nephew starts playing higher quality games as he gets older.

EDIT: my only requirement is that the motherboard must be full ATX, since I do not want to replace the case.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

EDIT: my only requirement is that the motherboard must be full ATX, since I do not want to replace the case!
If you do indeed have a full ATX case, it will fit mATX as well as miniITX motherboards.

What exactly is your budget?

Newegg has kits anywhere from $100 to $800. - http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-Combos/PromotionStore/ID-33/Page-6

These are nice kits for around $300
I know you said you didn't want to replace the case but for around 300 this is not a bad deal
You can find lower prices at Tigerdirect with smaller bundles. - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=14
In my opinion don't get a kit with Celeron or Pentium, unless you are planing an upgrade in the future to i5 or i7. Bewarned though that Intel pricing doesn't fall as quickly as one would hope.

As for AMD suggestions, you'll need to speak with someone else. I'm not an AMD follower. I will admit that for the best savings AMD is the way to go. But then performance wise they struggle to compare to Intel, when you match prices. Which is the very reason I advised not to get Celeron or Pentium. The i3 or comparable AMD is the perfect performance level to be. Anyone needing more power will know they need more.

Back