CPU or RAM upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan G

currently I have:
MOBO: GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Pentium D 915
RAM: DDR2 333 (3gigs (2 1g's and 2 512's))

I want to know what will give me the best performance for now, a new CPU or faster memory.
I want to get a Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz
or get some memory either 800 or 1066

If I do get memory do I get 800 or 1066?
Is there a big difference?

I will be buying both but it will be a few months till I have more $$ so I want to know what is more important, faster memory or faster CPU...

Not to mention the E6500 the won't double as a space heater. You will likely need a BIOS update before you install it in your board. The E6500 has hardware VT, if that matters.

"DDR@ 333 Mhz" is actually DDR2 667 Mhz. The clock is half the effective speed of the DIMMs

I was just about to buy the CPU when I thought maybe the memory was my week point so I came here for another opinion. I want to thank everyone for your help, I just ordered the CPU.

Not to mention the E6500 the won't double as a space heater. You will likely need a BIOS update before you install it in your board. The E6500 has hardware VT, if that matters.

"DDR@ 333 Mhz" is actually DDR2 667 Mhz. The clock is half the effective speed of the DIMMs
I didn't catch that, but I know better, I was reading that from CPUz where it said 333 but yea, it's 667..
I know the "D" runs hot, in fact it was running around 55c to 65c until I got a better cooler now it runs from 35c to 45c. When I run CPU Stability Test it might get up to 50c but that's not bad for what it is.

oh yes, your other question about memory. I would take the $$ you have for different ram and get the most CPU you can. the reason is your not going to notice much of a difference in real world performance going from the DDR2 667 to the 800 or the 1066.
this is on your MB CPU support list
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=e8400_core_2_duo-_-19-115-037-_-Product
I just don't have the money for that, wish I did. I got a $25 gift certificate from Newegg so I'm getting the E6500 for only $55, that's why I'm even doing this, I don't have extra money but the $25 savings makes it easy to afford. I really didn't have the money for the memory, so I'm glad to hear the CPU is the smart upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back