CPU overheating. Possible thermal paste problem?

My CPU seems to be over-heating.

I'm using:

Gigabyte P35-S3G motherboard
Intel core 2 duo E6750
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Now a while ago my fan came loose and broke from my motherboard so I bought a new one, cost quiet a lot ( like £80 ) so I'm guessing it's a good one. Well it was working fine for a while until one day my computer suddenly making an alarm and over-heating. I took off the fan and made sure it was back on. Now I've looked all around, checked with many temperature measuring programs and it's defiantly the CPU that is the problem.

Idle my Core temps are around 44/46 and GPU is arund 58. Then when I load a game, in a matter of minutes the temperature rises to around 80-90C for my core and 70 GPU. The alarm goes off so I turn off the game and it goes back down to idle temps.

Now when I replaced the fan, the thermal paste had all dried up and the fan isn't the sturdiest connected to my old motherboard, but again, I never had this problem before until I took off the fan so I'm thinking ( hoping ) that all I need is some new thermal paste and just to make sure the fan is defiantly in place. But if that isn't the game, can you possibly think of any other problems it could be?

You'll want to remove it again and clean off the existing paste. High percentage (90+%) isopropyl alcohol works well and is pretty cheap. Then you'll want to apply a small amount of new paste. If you don't have any you'll have to go buy/order some. I've used Arctic Silver 5 (pretty standard 'good' paste) and Arctic Silver Céramique. I prefer AS5. Whichever brand of paste you get, it is probably worth looking up some videos on youtube on how to apply it. Different products can have different preferred application methods.

Then, you'll want to be sure the heatsink is actually secured on all sides. I had a problem once with not getting all 4 sides fastened completely on a stock intel heatsink even though at first glance it looked fine. This probably wouldn't be your problem exactly because aftermarket heatsinks often use a different method of attachment. I'm just saying this to point out you need to be completely sure it is fastened properly.

You spent £80 on a fan to cool the E6750?
Follow the instructions and make sure the heatsink is attached properly. Its performance will drop drastically if it's loose.

Also what case and GPU do you have? Your idle GPU temp seems very high (load is ok though)

There are a lot of things to consider, first of all. Seasonal changes, ambient temps, case ventilation, failures, blockages, core usage...many things.
Though, even at idle, those temps are unusual for me.
I assume you're running on air-cooling, so you can check up the new guide on ducting/modding I'm going to post. It should help you reduce temps even further. My paper'n'tape prototype was successful, if not a bit noisy. I'm working on that now, and the entire project should be completed by mid-April. You can check it up to see if it helps you. Till then, you can do what SGNX1275 said.
Good luck!

Back