CPU overheating

By MIXEDD
Jul 1, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, everybody! I'm new here :).Well I have a problem with my PC, the CPU is overheating it's about 55 C at idle mode and 75 C at Max CPU usage.The PC gives me BSOD's because of the CPU overheat. I Had this problem before but i bought a new Thermal paste and installed it into my CPU. It has fixed the problem completely but after 3 weeks the CPU has began overheating again... Also, when the CPU is overheating and reaches about 65 C or more I hear a strange sound from the CPU or the Cooler i don't really know also I think it can be coming from the Video Card but it's not overheating at all.

My Hardware: CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2GHz
    Motherboard: Intel DG33BU
    RAM: 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro (MSI)

Please help me , THANK YOU! :)
  2. magaman598

magaman598 TechSpot Booster Posts: 275

You might wanna try and clean out the Heatsink and fan on the processor, that might be comepletely covered (Inside and out) with dust.
  3. MIXEDD

MIXEDD Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 66

Thanks but everything is fresh I had done this before.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,276   +177

It might be that the heatsink fan is not developing enough speed (RPMs) to adequately cool the CPU. Perhaps you need a new fan or maybe it would be worth replacing the whole heatsink/fan assembly.

How is good is the cooling of the case?
  5. MIXEDD

Thanks the case is good enough I think because the CPU was never overheating for 2 years. I'm starting to think that maybe the VCore voltage is to big. My CPU: Vcore voltage is : 1.325V. Also my BIOS is unable to change the Vcore voltage (BIOS fully updated).
  6. mailpup

What about the possibility of the heatsink fan failing?
  7. MIXEDD

Well I think it works fine because it spins fast enough.
  8. MIXEDD

Okey I'm sorry because I think you're right The CPU Cooling Fan Runs at 980 RPM. I really think that it's extremely slow. Am I right? Thank you for your responses.
  9. mailpup

Yes, that's too slow.
  10. MIXEDD

So is there is away to speed it up safely? Or I need to buy a new one?
  11. mailpup

You could check the BIOS in case there is a setting that set too low. Otherwise, I'd go for a new one.
  12. MIXEDD

okey i'll try buying a new one thanks for your help. :)
  13. MIXEDD

Ok I've bought a new Fan and the problem persists. I think that the problem is in BIOS but I can't change the Vcore Voltage also I can't even turn off the auto fan control. Could someone give me a suggestion what to do now?

14. magaman598

magaman598 TechSpot Booster Posts: 275

Did you happen the clean off the old Thermal compound before installing the new Heatsink?
  15. mailpup

Bear with me on this elementary question but did you plug the fan into the 4 pin CPU fan header and not one of the other fan headers on the motherboard?
  16. MIXEDD

Yes I had connected to the 4 pin CPU FAN connector. I had checked and it's connected fine and to the right place.
  17. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

I've never seen an overheating processor cause a BSOD. If the processor was truly overheating, your PC would turn off.

I'd be more likely to suspect your RAM being incompatible/set at the wrong speed on your motherboard. Intel boards are finicky about RAM, I dislike them.
  18. MIXEDD

Memtest86 has reported errors on one of my RAM stick's so I soon will change it. Thank you. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.