CPU parking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesurvivor190

I Just recently switched to a new windows 7 computer. It has 8 cores and its a intel i7 975 @ 3.33 ghz. I opened resource moniter, and noticed that 4 of those cores are parked and doing nothing. I have a question: Can i turn off core parking? Also, will those cores automatically turn on if i play a game? Thank you.

Hard drive heads park, but CPU cores? I believe that the cores will activate when they are needed. I have a core 2 Quad CPU

I think it depends on the program you were using.

I guess you could try using different programs, preferably newer ones to see if it was just the coding of the older programs or if it was actually a different issue.

Secondly... i7 cores have the ability to shut off during light loads so it could be that too.

If your cpu usage is about 10% regularly, that means something is going on...otherwise it should stay at zero?
Also, if the other four cores are at below, say, 90%, thats means they have still not reached their processing capacity, and don't need the help of the other four cores.

To be more accurate there are only four cores, with hyper threading, though that should in no way cause four to stay idle. And about the i7 power save, it in fact can shut off (I believe, if I remember correctly) up to half the processor, with the other half underclocked when idle. With hyper threading, that does translate to four cores being "parked".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back