CPU Pin Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there is there anyway possible i can repair a broken cpu several pins on the chip are missing and i am wondering if it is possible for me to repair the chip or if there is anyone who repairs cpu pins maybe some kind of website repair. The model is AMD athlon 3700+ Skt 754.

Hi, how many pins is "several"? And how far apart are they? Are they all neighbors?

There are various sources that repair missing-pin CPU's, but they usually charge a bit ($20-$40 plus shipping). You can also sometimes find local jewelers who might take on the challenge and solder a new pin on for you.

Otherwise, if the pins are not next to each-other, sometimes placing a pin in the appropriate socket hole, then installing the cpu on top of the protruding pin can do the job if there are relatively few missing pins and they are not adjacent to each-other. If they are adjacent, it could be difficult to prevent them from attaching or shorting.

The backyard version of cpu repair above involves trimming conductive pins to the appropriate length (you can usually get a pair of needle-nose pliers and extract pins from used/salvage ethernet card connectors or other cable/connectors) then push them into the socket in the CORRECT placement. If they are trimmed to the correct length, installing the CPU and mashing the cpu atop of them can often times make the needed connection and work. I wouldn't move the PC around while using it if your pin length measurements aren't very good.

Raiasokura said:
Hi there is there anyway possible i can repair a broken cpu several pins on the chip are missing and i am wondering if it is possible for me to repair the chip or if there is anyone who repairs cpu pins maybe some kind of website repair. The model is AMD athlon 3700+ Skt 754.

Hi

What an interesting and original Question... although it beggers belief that anyone would want to actually try and repair a CPU, I did a google and yes this guy has a site that offers the service, not sure if he still does it, but heres the address, click this link, however read thisfirst, I did a google on your question, "repair AMD CPU pins" and got several hits, remember google is your friend.

Thats my bit of input, anyone else ??

Regards

Sharkfood said:
Hi, how many pins is "several"? And how far apart are they? Are they all neighbors?

There are various sources that repair missing-pin CPU's, but they usually charge a bit ($20-$40 plus shipping). You can also sometimes find local jewelers who might take on the challenge and solder a new pin on for you.

Otherwise, if the pins are not next to each-other, sometimes placing a pin in the appropriate socket hole, then installing the cpu on top of the protruding pin can do the job if there are relatively few missing pins and they are not adjacent to each-other. If they are adjacent, it could be difficult to prevent them from attaching or shorting.

The backyard version of cpu repair above involves trimming conductive pins to the appropriate length (you can usually get a pair of needle-nose pliers and extract pins from used/salvage ethernet card connectors or other cable/connectors) then push them into the socket in the CORRECT placement. If they are trimmed to the correct length, installing the CPU and mashing the cpu atop of them can often times make the needed connection and work. I wouldn't move the PC around while using it if your pin length measurements aren't very good.

yeah i was thinking about that what type of material would i need?

1) Needle nose pliers (for extracting a conductive pin from a used/old ethernet card connector or other form of cabled connector, like a VGA cable etc.) as well as installing the pin into the socket.
2) A good sense of measurement.
3) Wire snips for trimming the pin to it's proper size for the socket.

ok i have removed a bronze colored wire to fill in the gaps and it fits which is great is this the wire i need?? now its time for the painful fitting process to begin :(

You should check the AMD documentation and see whether all these pins are even necessary.. Test point leads are something you will never use anyway for example.

they are necessary as y pc dsent turn on, it wasnt several pins its was 21, i put the bronze wire in the socket and still havent had any success it just seems to be booting ad the screen is just black HD boots up and cd spins, fans etc. im completely lost here :( its obvious the CPU is the culprit on this one. i feel kinda gutted i spend a lotof time snipping and measuring the wire to fit etc. oh well. any more suggestions?

This sounds funny but I once read a guy successfully repaired cpu pins by putting bit of paper clips in the cpu to use as pins.

Holy makeral! 21 pins?

Im afraid you should consider just scrapping that CPU if it has that many pins missing!

ok looks like the cpu has really gone, now ive got around a £250 budget to buy something new im looking at the AM2 series i obviously have a socket 754 motherboard spare now so would it better for me to just get another 754 socket or get a 939 or AM2. thanks a lot

ok..so I have a problem like this also.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.20Ghz CPU Processor shipping into me
A person sold it as As-Is. I payed .99 + 4.95 shipping = $5.94

The seller stated that the CPU had "several" pins bent. None broken but several bent. I hope it's in single digits

Would it be easier to try to get it fixed myself, or find a way to get it fixed. I doubt buying a new one will be cheaper

Where can I go on the AMD site to find out which pins are needed?

I hope you guys can help.

.:edit:.

Once I receive the item I will also post what pins, and how many are bent (at what degree.)

.:edit:.

I remember the seller stated that the pins are bent 30 to 60 degree angle..is that really bad?

i have done some pin modding...but this is rediculous!:D. take a pic if you would i would like to know how this goes for you. i wonder if some of the bent pins might be voltage levels you dont need .

I got the 6400+ processor today. I was going to take a picture of the bent pins, but I decided not to, so I could save time.

There was about 20 pins or more bent. They varied from 20-80 degree angles. I straightened them pretty nicely. I'm not quite done yet..but if this works phew it is a good deal
scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

80 degrees, and you got em straightened out!? da boyz gots skilzzzzz lol, good luck, hope it works.

Yea about 5 of them were nearly flat on the green chip part. I was very lucky. When I bended it to hard I freaked out that I weakened it. But thanks, but I wont try this until I get a better Heatsink/Fan. Even if it doesnt work having a better heatsink/fan is good.

another trick is to use a mechanical pencil without the lead. slip the bent pin inside the mechanical pencil tip to straighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back