TechSpot

CPU Spikes down????

By SilenceOfComp
Mar 4, 2007
  1. Hello techies, I have a question for all you there that are smarter than me when it comes to computers, I have a computer that I built about 3-4 years ago, it has a Athlon XP 1800+ CPU, 1Gb of ram, and a ATI Radeon 9200.

Now, when I moved from Cali to washington I plugged it in and started her up, she booted fine, but when windows was running she idled at 8-11% system usage, and was acting very much like a computer that was plugged into a low power source(acting laggy for no aparent reason).

Well, since it was a backup computer I didnt think anything of it, left it be, well I moved into my new house built only a few years back and I plug her in and have the same problem...

I start up my World Of warcraft Game and the put me between 68-88% idle with game open then I would do an action in the game and the processor usage spikes down to 1% then comes back up, at the same time my game freezes for a second(enough to be annoying) and then the % goes back up to proper percentage. I think that my CPU is going bad, can anyone give me some insight on what my problem is?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.